Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Harmony Hub Won't Power On Apple TV 4k - Solution

My Harmony Hub recently stopped powering on my Apple TV4k. I tried several things (removing Apple TV, Reworking Watching Apple TV activity, etc.) to no avail. I finally went into the Edit Activity function and added a custom command to the startup sequence for the Watching Apple TV Activity. I told the Harmony Hub to send a "Menu" command to the Apple TV when starting the Watch Apple TV Activity. This is the same as pressing the "Menu" button on the Apple TV remote. It worked. Now my TV, Apple TV, and receiver all turn on and operate as they always have.

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Oct 6, 2019 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2019 8:28 AM

You can use Bluetooth to control and it can poweron and power of

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-apple-tv#appleTVBT

Control your Apple TV with your Harmony Remote via Bluetooth you can add your Apple TV as a device using manufacturer Harmony Pro and model number BT Apple TV 4. This will allow additional features such as the TV/Home button and sleep mode.

TV/Home button:

The Home button provides additional functionality by allowing you to directly return to the home screen and launch the App Switcher when pressing twice.

Sleep mode:

The Harmony will automatically put the Apple TV to sleep when hitting the of button or switching activities. This default behavior can be changed by modifying the default power settings. For more information, see: Changing when a device powers on or off

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2019 8:28 AM in response to jb122

You can use Bluetooth to control and it can poweron and power of

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-experience-with-apple-tv#appleTVBT

Control your Apple TV with your Harmony Remote via Bluetooth you can add your Apple TV as a device using manufacturer Harmony Pro and model number BT Apple TV 4. This will allow additional features such as the TV/Home button and sleep mode.

TV/Home button:

The Home button provides additional functionality by allowing you to directly return to the home screen and launch the App Switcher when pressing twice.

Sleep mode:

The Harmony will automatically put the Apple TV to sleep when hitting the of button or switching activities. This default behavior can be changed by modifying the default power settings. For more information, see: Changing when a device powers on or off

Nov 23, 2019 3:09 PM in response to jb122

My Logitech remote was similarly not giving the appropriate menu command at startup. I just updated the remote through MyHarmony (without the fix mentioned in this forum) and my Apple TV started up properly afterwards. I'm thinking perhaps Logitech got wise to menu being necessary to start the ATV and updated things on their end.

Dec 15, 2019 10:19 AM in response to MistaDemon

I ran into the same issue and finally getting around to looking at it here in mid-December 2019.

On an up to date tvOS 13.3 on 4th gen Apple TV used in conjunction with a Harmony hub, using the latest available version (hub software 4.15.250) the issue is occurring even after a sync so I am guessing you may have a slightly different setup than me.

In any case I was able to insert a “Home” button command into the startup sequence and that works as well (at least from a fully powered off state from all devices). So you could conceivably use Play/Pause as well since that powers on the device from remote. Mileage may vary, of course.

Thanks OP for the tip, and since over 200 people have marked this as “me too” hopefully Apple/Logitech will fix this at the software level without users having to hack it.

Dec 20, 2019 5:20 AM in response to jb122

Thank you! After spending time trying to figure out where the problem was this did the trick. This works for both my Harmony Touch and a new Harmony 950 with two different versions of the AppleTV. Like everyone else, it doesn't turn off (the AppleTV turns off briefly then immediately turns back on) but I have auto-sleep enabled.

Feb 18, 2020 1:43 AM in response to MistaDemon

I too was having the issue with Apple 4K TV not switching on or off. The fix was simple and similar to that mentioned by MistaDemon. I added the Apple TV as a device again via the harmony desktop app and updated my Apple TV activity to the new device and it worked, it switched the Apple TV On and Off. No need to add menu as an additional step. It is possible a sync update could have done the trick also. Thanks MistaDemon for the suggestion.

Apr 13, 2020 2:52 PM in response to jb122

Thanks for this fix. It works great. I also added a command Menu to the shut down procedure. I was having and issue when I went back to play TV the apple TV stays on for a while. Play TV gets me back to watching TV but when the Apple TV finally shuts down after a while the picture on the TV goes off also and I am left with just audio. I am hoping this extra command to the end sequence will work for that as well.

Harmony Hub Won't Power On Apple TV 4k - Solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.