Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

files app to connect to mac

iPad pro on 13.1.2, MBP on 10.13.6 (it's a late 2011), can i connect to my mac via the files app, using the connect to server feature? on the mac, i have feel sharing on, both afp and smb. using afp, it says that url is not supported. using smb, it take a minute and says "there was a problem connecting to the server..."

i know my username and password are correct, both are on the same wifi network. i use iCloud drive, so i can exchange files that way, but given my setup, is this supposed to work? the mac os is as late as i can go, since the mac is so old. i also use google drive, but not on the iPad, and i quit using dropbox.

thanks for any help in this.

Posted on Oct 6, 2019 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2019 2:36 PM

Hello,

The Files application's SMB is a bit finicky.

Files only supports SMB. On your Macintosh disable AFP in Sharing preferences. Under "Windows File Sharing" uncheck your user account. Restart Macintosh by pulling down the Apple Menu > Restart.

Restart iPad.

When you are connecting the Files application to your Mac, are you trying in the Mac's IP address or its hostname? Try using the Mac's IP address. This can be found in System Preferences > Network. The login information will be what you use to login to your Macintosh.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2019 2:36 PM in response to marc cardwell

Hello,

The Files application's SMB is a bit finicky.

Files only supports SMB. On your Macintosh disable AFP in Sharing preferences. Under "Windows File Sharing" uncheck your user account. Restart Macintosh by pulling down the Apple Menu > Restart.

Restart iPad.

When you are connecting the Files application to your Mac, are you trying in the Mac's IP address or its hostname? Try using the Mac's IP address. This can be found in System Preferences > Network. The login information will be what you use to login to your Macintosh.

Oct 7, 2019 6:17 AM in response to QuickPost

welp. when i entered the IP address, after following your directions, i got an error about incorrect user or password, and i know i'm doing that right.

i took MBP to work, entered this new IP address, and got an error there was a problem connecting to the server (but not the user / pass). i went to sys prefs > security & privacy and checked to see SMB was allowed, the only not allowed ones are com.masi.ddpp.serverapp, and vlc.

i appreciate your help, maybe this just won't work with my mac and os.

Oct 7, 2019 5:32 PM in response to QuickPost

i googled att blocking those ports and they do, but i think (way out of my league here), they block them from outside traffic, but not w/in a home network. https://about.att.com/sites/broadband/network

i dug around on my router at home, looking in the firewall section, but nothing jumped out. plus there are a million settings in there.

thanks for your help!

Oct 7, 2019 6:45 PM in response to marc cardwell

I just did some research of my own and I came to the same conclusion as you that AT&T blocks outside SMB traffic. In your router’s configuration page look for “Port Forwarding”. From here you can specify your computer’s IP address and force the router to forward all traffic to the specific ports to your computer. Hopefully this will work too.

Oct 8, 2019 6:05 PM in response to QuickPost

thanks for staying with me on this! when i googled "att uverse cable modem configure port forwarding" it pointed me towards this: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1010278

and that takes me to a nat/gaming section under firewall, that indicates i open the previously mentioned ports, and not my IP address. this makes me wary that i may do something and mess up something else.

at home (on the att net) i'm getting a user/pass error, but at work i get "problem connecting to the server" error. it may be best for me to not go any further. maybe there's an incompatibility between my MBP's OS, 10.13.6, and iPad os? i tried on my iPhone, 13.1.2 and also got a user/pass error.

Oct 8, 2019 9:05 PM in response to marc cardwell

You are welcome! I am quite invested with this and I hope to see it through! (to the best of my ability)

I suggest that you research on how to perform a traceroute from iPad. This would let you see if your iPad can physically talk to your Mac through one of SMB's ports.

There are many great network utilities on the App Store that would accomplish this task. If your iPad is able to talk through the port then we know that the problem is with the Mac's SMB authentication. If it cannot then your iPad is just unable to talk to your Mac.

Another thing you can test is to start a dummy SMB server on your iPad. There are a few applications on the App Store that would let you do this. Once the SMB server is setup on your iPad, try using your iPhone to connect to it through the Files application. If this works then you'll be certain that your router isn't blocking this traffic.

Oct 13, 2019 9:26 AM in response to QuickPost

ok, i was able to smb connect to my work mac at work from the iPad, so i know it works. i have not taken home mac to work to see if i can connect there. BUT today at home, i created a new user acct on home mac (late 2011 MBP, 10.13.6), *and i _was_ able to connect* to the new user acct -- strange! i still get a user name or password error connecting to my main acct, and i know it's correct. as a test, i changed my password, rebooted the mac, rebooted the iPad and still it would not connect. BUT, i can connect to the new user acct.

at some point, in sys prefs, iCloud was asking me to re-enter my password, both iTunes and MBP ones. i guess maybe because i'd changed my MBP password, and i got excited, thinking maybe all along the iCloud request was waiting on me to re-enter it (that happens every now and then, a request to re-enter it), and maybe that was interfering w/ the iPad smb connecting to home mac.

i also have an old MBP, running 10.7.5, i tried connecting to it, but got a server error. in that system version, there was an option to change my user name in the users and groups section, i do not have that option on the mac i mainly use (late 2011). i have tried variations on my user name, marc.cardwell, or marcc, or marc -- i'm not sure where / how user name gets set.

i looked for some tracerout apps, was confused about which to pick, same for the dummy smb server, so i did not do that. i can connect, but only to the new user acct (guest doesn't work either, oddly).

thanks for sticking through on this, i'll mark it solved and i hope that gives you some credits or points.

files app to connect to mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.