Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac can't connect to MacBook Air to share files

I've had an iMac for a while and my wife just got a MacBook Air. I want to set up my iMac as a server or something so when we are home or traveling we will be able to access the files from the iMac with the MacBook.

When on my iMac, I go into the network location from the finder sidebar and see the MacBook but when I click on it it says connection failed. I have been trying a bunch of things to get this to work, when I first started I was able to share screen but could not connect with the connect as, now it just says connection failed and I can't even share screen.

I turned file sharing on on both computers and I even tried setting up a server with the connect to server feature under Go on the MacBook, I put in the smb://ipaddress/name of my iMac as a favorite server and when I connect to it is asks for a name and password, I try to connect as a registered user but I can't get the name or password right. I don't know what name and password to use there, I have tried mine that is used to log into the iMac and hers that is used to log into the MacBook but nothing has worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 8:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 10:32 AM

My situation may be different, trying to connect 10.13.6 to 10.14.6, but what worked for me was connecting via a command from the Terminal: open smb://<numeric IP>. Nothing from the Connect to Server user interface on the client, nor the Sharing System Preference on the server, seemed to work. (But I only worked for Apple for seven years, so perhaps I am too inexperienced.)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2020 10:32 AM in response to Gumbot

My situation may be different, trying to connect 10.13.6 to 10.14.6, but what worked for me was connecting via a command from the Terminal: open smb://<numeric IP>. Nothing from the Connect to Server user interface on the client, nor the Sharing System Preference on the server, seemed to work. (But I only worked for Apple for seven years, so perhaps I am too inexperienced.)

iMac can't connect to MacBook Air to share files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.