Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my macbook pro no longer connects to my imac

I have a MacBook Pro and an iMac, both running Big Sur and both have access to my wifi. Up until a few days ago I was able to access files on the iMac from my MacBook. The MacBook no longer can find the iMac.

I go to Finder > Go > Connect to server and enter smb:// and the IP address of the iMac. It tries connecting for a minute then comes back with "There was a problem connecting to server".

I am the only one with access to either of these devices and have made no changes that would affect connectivity. I checked my wifi and both devices report no problems with the network. I double-checked that I still have file sharing activated on both devices.

Oddly, I can still access the MacBook from the iMac.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 2:50 PM

Hi joespagg1,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities! From our understanding, you are not able to share files between your Macs after previously being able to, is that correct?

Have you tried restarting your iMac and MacBook Pro since noticing this issue? If not, go ahead and do that, as a restart can resolve unexpected issues.

"On your Macs, choose Apple menu  > Restart"

Shut down or restart your Mac

After restarting, please try to access your iMac from your MacBook Pro again.

Here is a refresh of the steps to follow:

• In the Finder on your Mac, choose Go > Connect to Server.

• Type the network address for the computer or server in the Server Address field.

• For information about the correct format for network addresses, see Network address formats and protocols.

• Click Connect.

Connect your Mac to shared computers and servers

Let us know how that goes.

Thank you!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2022 2:50 PM in response to joespagg1

Hi joespagg1,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities! From our understanding, you are not able to share files between your Macs after previously being able to, is that correct?

Have you tried restarting your iMac and MacBook Pro since noticing this issue? If not, go ahead and do that, as a restart can resolve unexpected issues.

"On your Macs, choose Apple menu  > Restart"

Shut down or restart your Mac

After restarting, please try to access your iMac from your MacBook Pro again.

Here is a refresh of the steps to follow:

• In the Finder on your Mac, choose Go > Connect to Server.

• Type the network address for the computer or server in the Server Address field.

• For information about the correct format for network addresses, see Network address formats and protocols.

• Click Connect.

Connect your Mac to shared computers and servers

Let us know how that goes.

Thank you!

my macbook pro no longer connects to my imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.