Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 13.1.2 Update: Screen rotation not functioning properly after iOS update

iPhone 7+

note: I’ve already ensured landscape lock is off and have force restarted the phone

Ever since I updated to IOS 13.1.2 yesterday, the screen rotate feature for videos behaves differently. Prior to the update, when watching videos on a site such as Apple news in portrait, the picture automatically go to full screen and rotate to landscape when I rotated the phone. Now it stays in portrait mode unless I manually place the video into full screen mode. On some sites like YouTube, the video won’t rotate at all. Is there a way to change the auto rotate feature back to what it was?

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2019 4:08 PM

I've been having the exact problem which also affects the camera - landscape photos end up sideways; here's what worked in my case:

iPhone 6s, iOS13.1.3, Display & Brightness settings were already set to Dark Mode, Standard View. I changed to Light Mode/Zoomed View, brought up Control Center and turned Rotation Lock to On. I then reversed the process, turning RL back to Off, View back to Standard, and Mode back to Dark; from there I did full shutoff, hold down Power button and confirm shutdown.

Once restarted it's been normal, all apps and function auto-rotate the way they used to and in all directions...

I hope this helps others, I'm doing everything possible to keep this 6s viable until a USB C -cabled model arrives myself!

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2019 4:08 PM in response to Fitz97

I've been having the exact problem which also affects the camera - landscape photos end up sideways; here's what worked in my case:

iPhone 6s, iOS13.1.3, Display & Brightness settings were already set to Dark Mode, Standard View. I changed to Light Mode/Zoomed View, brought up Control Center and turned Rotation Lock to On. I then reversed the process, turning RL back to Off, View back to Standard, and Mode back to Dark; from there I did full shutoff, hold down Power button and confirm shutdown.

Once restarted it's been normal, all apps and function auto-rotate the way they used to and in all directions...

I hope this helps others, I'm doing everything possible to keep this 6s viable until a USB C -cabled model arrives myself!

Oct 8, 2019 6:23 PM in response to Fitz97

Hello Fitz97,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that the display on your iPhone 7 Plus isn't rotating as expected when watching videos in apps. I would be happy to help point you towards a resolution.

Let's start by checking if you have Zoom or any other Accessibility features enabled on the iPhone. If so, does the screen rotate when they are turned off?

Zoom in on the iPhone screen - Apple Support

If the screen does not rotate without any Accessibility features enabled, follow the steps here next:

If the screen doesn't rotate on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Take care.

Oct 16, 2019 3:15 PM in response to Fitz97

I have an iPhone 6s and got the same problem when i updated to iOS 13 (13.1.2). Today I got the update 13.1.3 that I hoped it would solve the problem, but the screen still isn’t rotating automaticly into landscape, it’s a problem for almost all aplications, except YouTube which has the fullscreen button, but as an example in Safari a video does not go fullscreen when you press that button. I still really hope that the next patch will solve the problem.

Oct 24, 2019 11:26 PM in response to Fitz97

Fitz97,

I'm so sorry yours hasn't come back but I have a feeling it will, and I'd be very surprised if my 'fix' was anything more than a serendipitous combination of finger-fumbles... it sounds like we're all hitting around the root cause, that being the new Dark Mode and/or Zoomed View, or a combination.

Best of luck to you and fellow sufferers, hopefully you stumble on some combo of on/off's and restarts that sorts your device[s] back out.

Oct 29, 2019 8:21 AM in response to AlexHugo

The steps that high efficiency provided resolved the issue for me. You must follow them exactly.

Nov 5, 2019 10:52 AM in response to Fitz97

I have the same freaking problem!! I am so sick of Apple doing updates that than break things that were never broken. I was just on the phone with them and I filed a complaint because I am beyond sick of these $1000 phones not working properly. They should be beta testing over and over before rolling out the updates. I am so close to switch to Droid!! But the lady that helped me was very nice and she filed the complaint for me so it can get sent up the chain of command. I told her there are tons of people with the same issue so they need to have this fixed ASAP!

Dec 14, 2019 8:16 PM in response to Fitz97

iPhone 8plus here, I having two problems, the first 1 is only APPLE NEWS APP can not rotate to landscape mode, but all others like photo app, YouTube, and video apps, NO problems. The second problem is my Amazon cloud cam CAN NOT go live view with cellular and wi-fi, the cloud cam CAN record evens and save the file, but NO LIVE VIEW.

No problems at all before updated 13.1.2.

These 2 problems happen after I downloaded and updated the IOS13.1.2. I am on IOS 13.3, it still NOT working.

Jan 19, 2020 10:35 AM in response to Fitz97

On my friend's phone where this was happening in the News app, toggling display zoom on and then off fixed it… in the News app. However, when he opens this story in the News app https://apple.news/ADT57fOPkQe6ZdbsfjRwDwg and follows the "PeanutButterGamer" link (https://youtu.be/5cxwo2eRs-I) to YouTube (in an in-app browser) from there, the videos on the YouTube site won't rotate.

IOS 13.1.2 Update: Screen rotation not functioning properly after iOS update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.