Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac keeps saying update Apple ID settings

I just updated my 2015 MacBook Air 13 inch to Mac OS Catalina. Ever since then, when I went to system preferences, then Apple ID, update Apple ID settings popped up. I updated my Apple ID settings numerous times and it’s still popping up. Is there a way to fix this so it doesn’t pop up again? Thanks!!

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 6:50 PM

It is a pain to do but I took the following steps to finally resolve the issue:

1. Go to System Preferences --> iCloud
  2. Logout of iCloud
  3. Reboot system.
  4. Login back into iCloud.

This seems to have fixed my issue

48 replies

Oct 8, 2019 4:41 AM in response to xxxtweety

Had the same issue. Not sure the issue is a corrupt keychain, as much as it is a "not yet connected" keychain.

Here's how I solved it:

• In System Preferences, tap Apple ID
  • In the SysPrefs Apple ID sidebar, tap iCloud
  • In the main pane, scroll down to Keychain
  • If the Keychain checkbox is already checked, stop reading, this won't help, sorry
  • Click the Keychain checkbox.

That last step prompted me to enter my iPhone (yes iPhone) pass code. Did that, all is well. That's what makes me think it was an issue verifying/connecting all the keychains.

Oct 8, 2019 12:47 AM in response to xxxtweety

After entering my AppleID about 5 times, the message did go away. I followed the last steps of going to the Apple ID settings and going to. the Overview page. I didn't do anything else. Now, I don't know if this reset it or if my multiple attempts at entering the information finally took.

I find it crazy to imagine that this wasn't found during beta releases - seems like I should join the beta program if they are missing obvious things like this.

Oct 7, 2019 10:49 PM in response to xxxtweety

To change these preferences, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Apple ID, then select Overview in the sidebar.

Open Apple ID preferences for me

Option

Description

Update Apple ID Settings

You see this button if your Apple ID settings need to be updated to allow use of new services or verify authorised access.

About Apple ID & Privacy

This button provides information about the Apple privacy policy used to protect your information and choose what you share.

Click on continue , enter your Apple ID and password , click on next the error will go away .

Oct 8, 2019 8:39 PM in response to hukuzatuna

THANK YOU! This resolved the problem for me. At least so far, so good. Cheers!

hukuzatuna wrote:

Nice suggestion! I opened the finder, selected "home," and then navigated to /Library/Keychains/. Within that directory is another directory named with a unique key. I changed the name of that directory by appending "_save". Reboot. Problem solved! Thanks for that tip.

Mac keeps saying update Apple ID settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.