Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS server 5.9

I can't find the upgrade from MacOS server 5.8 to 5.9.

My Mac mini is now running MacOS Catalina.

Will this be available soon ??

Has Apple decided to quit the server app ??

Apple took out websites and email in version 5.8.

It looks like they want to do away with the Server App altogether.

I don't know.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 6:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 12:52 PM

Apple have been doing this for a number of years now. IIRC from when MacOS Server became just an App? If anyone else remembers it as I do or as something else then please feel free. The "procedure" - such as it is - is Apple releases a new MacOS with no compatible version of the Server App which can be installed. Server App is then updated some time later. Probably in a few days but sometimes a week or even two.

If you've installed and are using the current Server App with Mojave then the sensible approach would be to wait until there's an upgrade that is compatible with the latest OS release. When there is then download and install the latest OS after making all sensible backups first and then upgrade to the latest version of the Server App.

AFAIK Apple have not released any notes regarding further deprecation of "Server" features, such as they are. Hard to imagine what else they can take out of it? It's just possible they may change its name to something more appropriate as it can hardly be called a "Server". Can it?

My 2p

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2019 12:52 PM in response to LiveThere

Apple have been doing this for a number of years now. IIRC from when MacOS Server became just an App? If anyone else remembers it as I do or as something else then please feel free. The "procedure" - such as it is - is Apple releases a new MacOS with no compatible version of the Server App which can be installed. Server App is then updated some time later. Probably in a few days but sometimes a week or even two.

If you've installed and are using the current Server App with Mojave then the sensible approach would be to wait until there's an upgrade that is compatible with the latest OS release. When there is then download and install the latest OS after making all sensible backups first and then upgrade to the latest version of the Server App.

AFAIK Apple have not released any notes regarding further deprecation of "Server" features, such as they are. Hard to imagine what else they can take out of it? It's just possible they may change its name to something more appropriate as it can hardly be called a "Server". Can it?

My 2p

Oct 8, 2019 1:38 PM in response to Antonio Rocco

The issue appears that I have already upgraded to Catalina. This disables any server configuration on your machine. Fortunately, all of my server services are backed up on an another older machine running High Sierra. There should be enough time to get back up as long as MacOS server version 5.9 is made public. The new Mac mini has a solid state hard drive and is a dream to run the server app. In the past, MacOS was released after the server upgrade was ready to go.

MacOS server 5.9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.