Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina Update Relocated Items - Can't Delete or Empty Trash

I just completed the Catalina update which created a shortcut on my desktop called "Relocated Items." Inside is a PDF file that states these relocated files could not be handled by the update and were moved to this folder. I moved the folder to trash, and tried to empty trash, but some of the files cannot be deleted. I get a series of error messages (screenshots attached). Thing of it is, there is no "Put Back" option in right click either, so I now have files in the trash I can't do anything with. I tried booting in safe mode to empty trash but got the same errors.

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 9:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 11:50 AM

So here is what I did for removing that folder:

1. Reboot and go to Cmd+R recovery mode
  2. disable SIP by `csrutil disable`
  3. Reboot to normal mode and delete that folder, empty trash
  4. Reboot and go to Cmd+R recovery mode
  5. re-enable SIP by `csrutil enable`
  6. Reboot to normal mode

Similar questions

30 replies

Oct 8, 2019 11:46 AM in response to faikbey

Hi,

A couple of comments here:

First, prior to seeing faikbey's comment added above, I filed an issue on the XQuartz GitHub site here:

https://github.com/XQuartz/XQuartz/issues/1

as this appears to be an XQuartz related issue, for those that have installed it. Apple stopped including X11 in OS X 10.5, and XQuartz is the vehicle for its use since then for those that need that functionality.

There should ideally be an uninstall capability in XQuartz, but I was unable to locate one, other than this GitHub Gist here with a manual script:

https://gist.github.com/pwnsdx/d127873e24cef159d4d603accaf37ee4#file-gistfile1-txt

However, that uninstall would presumably only work on this issue if you knew about this problem prior to upgrading to Catalina. That is, you would uninstall XQuartz first, upgrade to Catalina, and then reinstall XQuartz.

Once you have upgraded to Catalina, with XQuartz in place, you get this underlying relocated items issue.

I did use the above gist scripts to uninstall XQuartz post Catalina upgrade, but that did not help in resolving the relocated files issue.

Second, one additional point to add to faikbey's comment, is that the user volumes are not mounted by default in Catalina in Recovery Mode, even in /Volumes. Thus, before going into the Terminal to do what faikbey suggests, you appear to need to go into the Disk Utility application and mount the Macintosh HD volumes in the left hand frame, to make them accessible from the Terminal. Once I did this, I could then navigate to my .Trash folder in my user account tree and delete the files.

After a reboot from Recovery Mode, all is well, at least in terms of the files in Trash being gone. Now, I need to reinstall XQuartz, as I need it for one of my applications, so we will see how that goes.

Hopefully, the XQuartz devs will note the issue and offer some better options for dealing with this, or provide other clarifications as apropos.

Oct 8, 2019 3:44 PM in response to alanwsx

alanwsx wrote:

1. So here is what I did for removing that folder:

Reboot and go to Cmd+R recovery mode
2. disable SIP by `csrutil disable`
3. Reboot to normal mode and delete that folder, empty trash
4. Reboot and go to Cmd+R recovery mode
5. re-enable SIP by `csrutil enable`
6. Reboot to normal mode

Thank you! This worked 100%. And thanks to everyone else for insights into the cause and offering solutions.

Nov 9, 2019 10:54 AM in response to alanwsx

Thanks for this, @alanwsx. I tried a simpler approach based on your insight of using Recovery Mode and had success just doing this:

1. Reboot and go to Cmd+R recovery mode
  2. Open Terminal
  3. Navigate to the Trash folder (e.g. cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/USERNAME_GOES_HERE/.Trash
  4. Delete everything manually by `rmdir -rf Relocated\ Items`. No sudo is required in Recovery Mode.
  5. If it succeeds (it did for me!), reboot to normal mode and you're done. If not, continue your instructions at Step 2.

Oct 8, 2019 8:40 AM in response to FerranPrincep

I had the same issue, here is how I fixed it:

Restarted using recovery mode (command-R)

From the top menu bar choose utilities and launch terminal

Type df to see all the mounted hard drives since recovery mode doesn't mount your hard drive to / but to /Volumes/Macintosh HD (or what have you).

Go to your mounted volume, in there /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/<username>/.Trash and do sudo rm -rf *

Check with ls to see if it worked, it should.

Close terminal and restart again, trash should be empty

Oct 11, 2019 12:54 PM in response to badAdjective

Had same issue. Reason you can delete those folders you don't have read or write permissions (even if you're in you daily profile aka. administer). All you need to do is:

Open folder titled "Relocated Items"-> look for folders/files with ⛔️on them -> select -> right click -> select "Get Info" -> in Finder window that pops up scroll to bottom and click on "▼ Sharing & Permissions" -> Click on the 🔒at bottom right corner (to be able to change permissions privileges) and enter password -> once unlocked in the table beside "everyone" click "No Access" (or which ever is not "Read & Write") -> change to "Read & Write" -> Repeat as needed to all folders/files with ⛔️-> Now you will be able to delete with Trash

Oct 18, 2019 11:31 AM in response to badAdjective

This worked for me. I should add that there are a few instructions missing for less experienced users: When you come up in recovery mode, you don't choose any of the 4 options that come up. You go to the menu on the top of the screen and choose "Utilities" and choose Terminal. You enter "csrutil disable" and then hit enter. Follow instructions above and do the same for "csrutil enable" the same way before your final reboot.

Oct 18, 2019 11:40 AM in response to hamsong

Are you referring to the 4X reboot approach? First, even the entry to recovery mode didn't work for me (I have never tried this before). Can I suggest something? Whenever you or anyone else posts instructions in response to a question, please spell out everything - even if the questioner would understand what you mean in your abridged instructions, the whole point of this website is to post solutions of general interest - otherwise you would just email each other. One doesn't need to be inexperienced to become stuck because some "obvious" command wasn't mentioned. We can't yet read each other's mind, not even at short distance:)

Thanks

Oct 18, 2019 12:05 PM in response to ahorowit

This is was my first attempt ever at recovery mode. I agree with you that the original poster could have been more specific, but I figured it out and they worked for me. What's missing is that you reboot, then hit CONTROL+R when you see the Apple logo. This takes you into recovery mode. After you make the changes in Terminal, you reboot into normal mode, etc.

Nov 14, 2019 6:39 AM in response to jpotisch

Thank you for the advice. For a reason I can't identify, I am unable to put my iMac in recovery mode. Any suggestion for solving this problem?

Instead of having to figure this out only for the sake of a deletion of a single file, it would be better for me, as well as for anyone else who is still stuck with this useless file in their trash if Apple came out with a faster and simpler solution.

Catalina Update Relocated Items - Can't Delete or Empty Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.