Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xcode 11.1 "There is not enough disk space available to install the product"

The App Store shows me that I need an update: Xcode 11.1 is here.

When I try to install it, a box appears with the following text:

"There is not enough disk space available to install the product"

I have 20GB free space. I would hope that should be enough...

So I went to Google and found this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53432700/xcode-on-mac-app-store-cant-install-show-disk-space-not-enough.

It refers to this: https://developer.apple.com/download/more/

So I tried to downoad Xcode from apple directly (I got a .xip file with Xcode in it (7,68 GB!).

And I tried unzipping it. I got the same message: too little space.

OK

So I tried hooking up my external harddrive to my laptop, and putting the xip file on there and unzipping it. I have 1,73 TB (!!!) free diskspace on that external harddrive. You would say that would work, right?

Nope.

Still got the same message. "The archive "Xcode_11.1.xip can't be expanded because the selected volume doesn't have enough free space."

What the heck is this? Is this version of Xcode corrupted?

Did anyone else experience the same issue and perhaps have another solution?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 2:02 AM

Similar questions

17 replies

Oct 9, 2019 12:45 AM in response to SMMDC

In my case, it got solved, but I'm not too sure how.

First, let me state I had 4 different sources of "free space" information:

• Disk utility
  • Get info in Finder on the partition
  • df -h in command line
  • Storage management in "About this Mac"

All would report very different values (df reporting 8 GB free, disk utility reporting 20 GB, and about this mac over 125 GB). Note that at that point, I had just deleted 66 GB of VM files, so I was rather sure I had quite some space free for real. But a lot of it was displayed in disk utility as "purgeable". And Apple says it's purged automatically.

In my quest to purge, I downloaded and ran "Clean my mac X" or something similarly named. I ran it once, it found over 100 GB to clean. I executed the cleaning, and it stopped after 500 MB, as it is a trial version. Then, checking it said I had a lot more free space. I tried installing from AppStore again and it worked.

Post XCode 11 install, in disk utility, I now see 77 GB Free, and "127 GB available (50 GB purgeable)".

I'm not sure "Clean my mac X" has helped. I suspect MacOS needed time to realize there was really enough space now. But then, no certainty, only assumption. While my system runs apparently ok, I don't specifically recommend you try that software, at least not until you are sure you have enough space and you have no other option left.

Oct 11, 2019 7:02 AM in response to SMMDC

Installation has cancelled several times now. In last trial, I had 39,5 GB (!) of free space before installation. Installation is split into 2 parts: First one is 2,38GB, that downloads and installs fine. Second part is 7,64GB. That download fines, starts installation and then stops with "Unable to download app" (which is of course wrong because download work fine) and "XCode could not be installed. Please try again later."

Freeing up 40 GB on a 256GB drive was already hard enough. Next try would be: Move all documents to an external stick and then retry installation :-(

Oct 8, 2019 3:56 AM in response to SMMDC

SMMDC wrote:

I have 20GB free space. I would hope that should be enough...

FWIW, 20GB is very little free space even for a 128GB drive. A good rule of thumb is to keep 20% GB free. Just to add, the free space has to be on the drive you are installing to. You could have a trillion GB free on an external and it wouldn't matter. The free space is not just for the size of the file but space needed to move files around, etc.

Oct 8, 2019 4:39 AM in response to dialabrain

Thank you, dialabrain for your quick response!

I understand what you are saying, but I wonder:

why are you talking about the installation when I'm not even at that step yet.

I'm trying to unzip the .xip file on an external drive with 1.73 TB free space so that I can see how big the unzipped file is, so that I can see how much space I need to clear out before I can do this update.

But my point is: even with 1.73 TB free space the .xip does not want to unpack. This seems like a bug to me, or a corruption.

Am I wrong? Are .xip files built to install when you unpack?

Oct 8, 2019 4:49 AM in response to SMMDC

SMMDC wrote:

Thank you, dialabrain for your quick response!

You're welcome

understand what you are saying, but I wonder:
why are you talking about the installation when I'm not even at that step yet.

Because you asked about installing it, not extracting a .xip file.

'm trying to unzip the .xip file on an external drive with 1.73 TB free space so that I can see how big the unzipped file is, so that I can see how much space I need to clear out before I can do this update.

Again, as I tried to explain, the size of the file compressed or expanded is not the issue.

"The free space is not just for the size of the file but space needed to move files around, etc."

But my point is: even with 1.73 TB free space the .xip does not want to unpack. This seems like a bug to me, or a corruption.
Am I wrong? Are .xip files built to install when you unpack?

That I can't answer.

Oct 8, 2019 6:47 AM in response to dialabrain

A friend of mine just told me what is probably the problem: The OS creates a swapfile on the system harddisk in order to unpack zip files.

You could see it as temporary extra swap memory.

So even if you unpack something on an external drive, your system will still temporarily put the unpackaged files on the system drive.

Oct 10, 2019 1:22 AM in response to MoaMoi

I purged my system a bit from data. After that, I had 62 GB free disk space. I reattempted the update and it hung. I rebooted, tried it again and now it's updated.

TL;DR:

The answer to "how much GB's of data do I need to have minimally" is 62 GB for now. If someone else comes along that does it with less, please let us know.

Oct 11, 2019 7:27 AM in response to Rheuma-Kai

You might want to write a free-space monitoring script... Might just be writing into a file date/time and free space, then run it while installing. I suspect your problem is actually not linked to free space. Also there might be a way to get some more meaningful error message, maybe from System Log, as this message is quite useless.

Xcode 11.1 "There is not enough disk space available to install the product"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.