Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I control the volume of Apple Music app when it is not in the foreground? Using OSX10.15

And ideas on how can I control the volume of the apple music app even when it is not in the foreground? without switching to it... example.. music is playing load and my phone rings... without switching to the Music app I could just hit a keyboard combo... I just upgraded to Catalina today and I was previously using a app called "Sizzling Keys" from Yellow Mug Software... I could then use "command 2" to decrease volume... "command 3" to increase volume etc... even when the iTunes now the Music app was not in the foreground.. I like to play my music using "airplay" and it runs to a Apple airport express.. I have one for my office speakers and one express for the living room.. it worked great in the past... does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks...

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 2:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2019 2:19 PM

Hi Brad,

One note that I see when I look into my preferences is that I notice that I don't see the volume control app listed in the automation section of my privacy preferences as shown in their instructions? but it is in the accessibility preferences... thoughts?

this is from their webpage..

these are from my computer..

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 25, 2019 2:19 PM in response to Brad Clark1

Hi Brad,

One note that I see when I look into my preferences is that I notice that I don't see the volume control app listed in the automation section of my privacy preferences as shown in their instructions? but it is in the accessibility preferences... thoughts?

this is from their webpage..

these are from my computer..

Nov 25, 2019 1:02 PM in response to Brad Clark1

Thanks Brad..Do you know if it allows you to adjust the volume of iTunes or Music even when the app is not in the foreground? IE iTunes or Music is open and playing music but you are on Safari or Mail and the phone rings and you want to quickly lower the volume without having to go find iTunes or Music and then adjust the volume? That you could adjust the volume of iTunes or music with a keystroke? There used to be a 3rd party app called Sizzleykeys that worked perfectly.. but unfortunately it doesn't work with Catalina... Here is a screen shot of their "Hot Keys"

Nov 25, 2019 1:40 PM in response to Brad Clark1

Hi Brad,

Thanks...I just downloaded and installed the app...But for some reason I can't seem to figure out how to adjust my volume when the app is not in the foreground? when the apps in the foreground and I depress command and the up or down arrow the volume goes increases or decreases... but when the app is not in foreground and I depress command and the up or down arrow other things happen like in Safari the page scrolls up or down.. What am I doing wrong? how can I make it work and secondly can I chose the keys I want to adjust the volume?

How can I control the volume of Apple Music app when it is not in the foreground? Using OSX10.15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.