Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand missing library sounds

GarageBand 10.3.3, macOS Mohave 10.14.6

Most of my instruments in my GarageBand library are missing. I only have voice, acoustic guitar and electric guitar. I used to have a many more. I tried the reinstall library sounds and after a long download and install nothing changed.

How do I get my instruments back?

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 7:29 PM

Good afternoon amcmast,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are missing instruments in your GarageBand library. Have you recently upgraded to GarageBand 10.3.3? Did you receive any error messages when you reinstalled the Sound Library? If you have a Time Machine Backup, you could restore the folders where these files are stored. Or, you can delete the GarageBand application (this will not affect your projects) and reinstall the application and the sound content again. Make sure you have enough available space on your Mac for this, or consider installing on an external drive.

GarageBand for Mac: Download additional sounds and loops

Use Time Machine to restore deleted files or older files

The resource below is for Logic Pro X - but the information about the Sound Library is similar for GarageBand. I've highlighted some key information here for you. Click on the link for complete details.

Logic Pro X: Manage Logic Pro content

"Other Apple music creation apps such as MainStage and GarageBand share the same Sound Library location. When you relocate the Sound Library, it is also relocated for these apps if they are installed on your computer. Just replace Logic with GarageBand where applicable.

The Sound Library includes the following types of content:

• Apple Loops
  • Drum kits
  • Patches
  • Plug-in settings
  • Sampler instruments and their associated samples
  • Impulse responses
  • Legacy and compatibility content, including Jam Packs, sounds, and instruments

Logic Pro installs Sound Library content in several different locations on your computer:

Apple Loops

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/

Impulse responses

/Library/Audio/Impulse Responses/Apple/

Sampler instruments

/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments

Samples

• /Library/Application Support/Logic/Alchemy Samples
  • /Library/Application Support/Logic/EXS Factory Samples
  • /Library/Application Support/Logic/Ultrabeat Samples"

If GarageBand for Mac won't open or play back your project

"Reinstall GarageBand

If you still can't resolve your issue, reinstall GarageBand. You don't have to remove everything related to GarageBand, such as projects. You just remove and reinstall the GarageBand application.

To reinstall GarageBand:

1. In the Finder, choose Applications from the Go menu.
  2. Locate the GarageBand application and drag it to the trash.
  3. Open the Mac App Store
  4. Click Purchased in the Mac App Store toolbar.
  5. Sign into the Mac App Store using the Apple ID you first used to purchase GarageBand.
  6. Look for GarageBand in the list of purchased applications in the App Store. If you don't see GarageBand in the list, make sure it's not hidden. See Hide and unhide purchases in the Mac App Store for more information.
  7. Select Install to download and install GarageBand."

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2019 7:29 PM in response to amcmast

Good afternoon amcmast,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are missing instruments in your GarageBand library. Have you recently upgraded to GarageBand 10.3.3? Did you receive any error messages when you reinstalled the Sound Library? If you have a Time Machine Backup, you could restore the folders where these files are stored. Or, you can delete the GarageBand application (this will not affect your projects) and reinstall the application and the sound content again. Make sure you have enough available space on your Mac for this, or consider installing on an external drive.

GarageBand for Mac: Download additional sounds and loops

Use Time Machine to restore deleted files or older files

The resource below is for Logic Pro X - but the information about the Sound Library is similar for GarageBand. I've highlighted some key information here for you. Click on the link for complete details.

Logic Pro X: Manage Logic Pro content

"Other Apple music creation apps such as MainStage and GarageBand share the same Sound Library location. When you relocate the Sound Library, it is also relocated for these apps if they are installed on your computer. Just replace Logic with GarageBand where applicable.

The Sound Library includes the following types of content:

• Apple Loops
  • Drum kits
  • Patches
  • Plug-in settings
  • Sampler instruments and their associated samples
  • Impulse responses
  • Legacy and compatibility content, including Jam Packs, sounds, and instruments

Logic Pro installs Sound Library content in several different locations on your computer:

Apple Loops

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/

Impulse responses

/Library/Audio/Impulse Responses/Apple/

Sampler instruments

/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments

Samples

• /Library/Application Support/Logic/Alchemy Samples
  • /Library/Application Support/Logic/EXS Factory Samples
  • /Library/Application Support/Logic/Ultrabeat Samples"

If GarageBand for Mac won't open or play back your project

"Reinstall GarageBand

If you still can't resolve your issue, reinstall GarageBand. You don't have to remove everything related to GarageBand, such as projects. You just remove and reinstall the GarageBand application.

To reinstall GarageBand:

1. In the Finder, choose Applications from the Go menu.
  2. Locate the GarageBand application and drag it to the trash.
  3. Open the Mac App Store
  4. Click Purchased in the Mac App Store toolbar.
  5. Sign into the Mac App Store using the Apple ID you first used to purchase GarageBand.
  6. Look for GarageBand in the list of purchased applications in the App Store. If you don't see GarageBand in the list, make sure it's not hidden. See Hide and unhide purchases in the Mac App Store for more information.
  7. Select Install to download and install GarageBand."

Take care.

GarageBand missing library sounds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.