Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Developer Forums relocated!

Need help with Apple Developer tools and technologies? Want to share information with other developers and Apple engineers? Visit Developer Forums at Apple.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Brilliant 'Artsaver' screensaver app killed by Catalina...

The most brilliant screensaver ever is Artsaver, developed by a gentleman called Gabriel Zachmann (https://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~zach/software/ArtSaver/index.html). You could appoint a folder of pictures to it and use those as a screensaver. And, you could go back and forth in the pictures when the screensaver was on, and even could you by pressing enter show the forestanding picture in Finder. Wow. Please download if you are pre-Catalina. Everything was beautiful until yesterday. I upgraded to Catalina an gone is the brilliant Artsaver :( Just giving us a black screen. Now Apple, could you please give this man a large sum of money and incorporate Artsaver in your standard screensaver options? That would be totally awesome. In the meantime, anyone who can tell me how to make it work again: eternal gratitude!

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 5:53 PM

Why not reach out to the vendor and ask him about a 64-bit version of the product? One would think that the version 3.0.1 product for Mojave would already be 64-bit. Are you using v3.0.1 for El Capitan by any chance?

Apple is not at fault here. Commencing in early Spring 2018 with the release of macOS 10.13.4, users have been receiving warnings when launching 32-bit applications. They were not idle suggestions.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2019 5:53 PM in response to KrijnPhoto

Why not reach out to the vendor and ask him about a 64-bit version of the product? One would think that the version 3.0.1 product for Mojave would already be 64-bit. Are you using v3.0.1 for El Capitan by any chance?

Apple is not at fault here. Commencing in early Spring 2018 with the release of macOS 10.13.4, users have been receiving warnings when launching 32-bit applications. They were not idle suggestions.

Oct 10, 2019 10:21 AM in response to VikingOSX

Gabriel Zachmann himself isn't of the opinion that the problem is 32-bit vs 64-bit. On the download page he says:

"Warning: ArtSaver does not work on Catalina (10.15)! (This seems to be due to the new sandboxing for 3rd party screensavers, but I do not have the time right now to investigate workarounds, if any should be possible.)"

Ref. https://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~zach/software/ArtSaver/index.html

Oct 10, 2019 11:15 AM in response to zwaa

I know, I know. I've been in touch, but Gabriel is quite a boss and pretty busy with other important stuff. This Artsaver kill indeed looks like an Apple security sort of thing. I truly feel the features of Artsaver should be available within Apple OS. Please please Apple OS developers could you please please implement Gabriel's simple solution? Please?

I <3 Artsaver

The Brilliant 'Artsaver' screensaver app killed by Catalina...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.