Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UltraWide monitor no longer QHD resolution after Catalina upgrade

My LG 49WL95C-W UltraWide monitor has been working great and I upgraded to Catalina last night on my MBP 2017 15" and now my resolution is like a large type edition. I can't get it to natively support QHD and it will only go to (3840 x 1080). I installed the latest LG Screen software and updated the monitor firmware and still no change. Any clue how to fix this so I can get back to QHD which is partially why I bought this monitor?

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 6:39 AM

I figured out a way to fix it with a free app from github called disable monitor. Download it, unzip, transfer to app folder and open. The icon will show up on your top menu and will allow you to choose whatever resolution you'd like, 5120 x 1440 for your particular monitor.

https://github.com/eun/disablemonitor

26 replies

Oct 9, 2019 6:02 AM in response to checkyourmirrors

I'm having the same issue with the same monitor. I updated my 2017 iMac pro to Catalina last night and now my secondary monitor , an LG 49WL95C, seems to be not be supported. On Mojave, I was able to select the max QHD resolution of 5120 x 1440 in the display setting. Now in Catalina, the max resolution option for the monitor is only 3840 x 1080. I've updated the monitor firmware, I've tried unplugging it from the iMac and plugging it back it to make sure it was detecting the device correctly to no avail. I don't get how it worked fine in Mojave at 5120 x 1440 and now suddenly not supported in Catalina. I use this monitor to edit video, I paid the extra premium for the 5k(ish) experience to do so and it looks like garbage now compared to what I'm used to. I also don't understand the new "lager text, more room" slider to choose resolution. There is a point where "user friendly" becomes "user insulting". If going that far to make settings idiot proof, at least make an "advanced" setting option. Subbed for solution!

Oct 14, 2019 5:06 PM in response to aedencalvin

Hi there, same problem for me, though I tried the Disable Monitor and it didn't work. I seems the display needs to be connected at the time of removing the ID though it didn't work for me. Can't think of a different sequence of using the software, are you able to talk through the steps including the connections and powering/restarting devices in terms of order? I also can't see the display options by selecting the display icon in the top right panel - the software has been successfully installed though.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also for the previous person commenting on the absence of specific resolutions )if you press option while clicking on scale - they all come up to select.

Cheers

Oct 14, 2019 6:02 PM in response to Dangerousmadcow

Yeah I figured out the option click to show the normal way instead of the dumbed down way after I wrote that, the actual resolution selection menu was default on Mojave for me, I never saw that "larger text/more space" BS until I installed Catalina.

I have a LG 49WL95C-W connected to to a '17 iMac Pro via USB C. The steps I took - Updated to Catalina > installed LG onscreen control>allow "onscreen control" and "OSCMultimonitor" accessibility in the privacy tab of "security & privacy preferences> updated monitor firmware via LG onscreen control app > download disable monitor> move to applications folder>run disable monitor> little monitor icon should appear in top menu with all native and connected displays listed> set correct resolution to respective monitor.

After using this for a couple of day, I have to say that it works much better than it did before when selected in OSX. I was having an issue with the LG monitor randomly disconnecting and reconnecting frequently. It has not happened once since I've been using disable monitor.

Nov 2, 2019 7:55 AM in response to Bjorn Stabell

pretty sure the app just overrides OS inflicted limitations. After enabling the proper resolution with disablemonitor, the screen looks exactly as it did prior to it not working, it doesn't look scaled. 5120x1440 was an option for me in Yosimite and then wasn't in Catalina. It's sad that you have to go this route to use hardware the machine is more than capable of running, but I assume its to claim incompatibility to buy their $5000 solution instead.

If you really want to know, the creator's name is EUN on github, he'll be able to answer exactly how it work.

Nov 13, 2019 8:21 AM in response to checkyourmirrors

I am having a similar issue except my widescreen monitor that defaults to 2560 x 1080 works fine when my 2018 MacBook Air lid is open, but the moment I close it the monitor is switched to what I assume must be 1920 x 1080 which of course makes the picture look stretched and awful. Did not happen until I installed Catalina. Hope they can fix this glitch. A feature to manually select the resolution for your monitor would be a welcome addition for sure.

Nov 27, 2019 8:33 PM in response to bitcoincash

Tested on Macbook Pro 15" Early 2018 and today newly on the MacBook Pro 16"

I used disablemonitor app to connect a 15 ft miniDP to DisplayPort for this display and the display was clear, and I just recently purchased this USB-C Type 15 ft cable and this cable does work with the display. I found it on Amazon, and while I was searching I had no idea that you actually can obtain very long cables for thunderbolt, they are optical cables, Corning makes a Thunderbolt 2 Optical cable, and there are a few others out there, but they are difficult to find or require a specialized quote.... you'd be looking at dropping $200-$1000

Amazon - USB C Type 15 foot cable: TetherPro USB-C to USB-C, 15039; (4.6m) ORG -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0794BL8CM/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?pd_rd_i=B0794BL8CM&pd_rd_w=BlyFS&pf_rd_p=45a72588-80f7-4414-9851-786f6c16d42b&pd_rd_wg=EegsL&pf_rd_r=HCV714SYSCZ318C5JB1F&pd_rd_r=043b1b05-128c-45bc-957c-f55bc8e61d6e&smid=A3FR7YOQDCCAIT&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFUWVJPTzZDTERWSVEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzNzk1ODIyUzBZMDFXMEVSVTFNJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyNzE1ODUyMlZOSlZQT1lLRFZRJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Corning Thunderbolt and USB-C Cables:

https://www.corning.com/optical-cables-by-corning/worldwide/en/products/thunderbolt-optical-cables.html

Dec 2, 2019 7:14 PM in response to Bjorn Stabell

Just a quick update on this one, I did try the Disable Monitor for me and it fixed it. The LG's built-in menu now displays a resolution of 5120x1440 while the mac displays still shows 3840x1080. It does not look scaled and I think it's ridiculous that it's not natively supported on a late 2018 15" Macbook Pro with AMD discrete. I can understand if you only have the intel graphics where it's just not possible... in any case, yes, the Disable Monitor will scale but in this case, for me, it really is outputting the correct resolution to the monitor. Hopefully an MacOS or LG firmware update resolves this shortly.

Dec 2, 2019 8:27 PM in response to bitcoincash

I'm sorry to hear that you're stuck with the lower resolution. Yes, I read quite a few threads prior to purchasing the monitor and was not expecting to have a problem with a simple plug and play installation on the 15" because of the AMD graphics, I knew the 13" was not supported. LG does mention that it will not work at full resolution with the Intel's graphic chipset which simply does not support that resolution so unfortunately, I'm not sure how anyone could offer you a resolution for this short of using an eGPU.

This specific thread is titled : My LG 49WL95C-W UltraWide monitor has been working great and I upgraded to Catalina last night on my MBP 2017 15" and now my resolution is like a large type edition. I just wanted to let people know that if you have a 15", it does work and does not "scale" but displays at full resolution. It's a silly but necessary work-around for now.

UltraWide monitor no longer QHD resolution after Catalina upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.