Dell U3417W monitor not working after installing Ventura 13.4.1

I installed the latest OS, Ventura 13.4.1 on my MacBook Air last night, and can no longer use my Dell UltraSharp U3417W monitor at the correct aspect ratio or resolution. I'm hoping there is a firmware update for the monitor, or some other hack to get the monitor compatible again. I was told by Apple support that with the Apple M2 chip, you can no longer go back to the previous operating system.

Does anyone have a solution or suggestion?

MacBook Pro (M2, 2022)

Posted on Jun 28, 2023 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 8:40 PM

Hi @danakayw, thanks for your advice.

There is a similar issue here.

I updated to Ventura 13.5.1 then suddenly my Dell UltraSharp U3417W lost it's resolution.

Now the default resolution (and also the highest) I can use is 1920 x 1080.

I followed the above guide but didn't work.

To me, I think the issue is not that monitor can not detect the external display, but it's like the external display resolution changed ot got lost.

May I ask if you have better solution on this?

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2023 8:40 PM in response to danakayw

Hi @danakayw, thanks for your advice.

There is a similar issue here.

I updated to Ventura 13.5.1 then suddenly my Dell UltraSharp U3417W lost it's resolution.

Now the default resolution (and also the highest) I can use is 1920 x 1080.

I followed the above guide but didn't work.

To me, I think the issue is not that monitor can not detect the external display, but it's like the external display resolution changed ot got lost.

May I ask if you have better solution on this?

Jun 29, 2023 3:22 PM in response to brianbackus

Hey there brianbackus,

It sounds like you're on the right track as far as why this happened. We're glad you reached out to Apple Support Communities. We'll be happy to help.

To troubleshoot the issue, try the steps in this guide: If your Mac doesn’t recognize an external display - Apple Support

1. "On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Displays  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. Press and hold the Option key to make the Detect Displays button appear in place of the Night Shift button, then click Detect Displays.
  3. If your Mac still doesn’t recognize the attached display, try any of the following:
    • Unplug the display from your Mac, then plug it back in.
    • Make sure the cable you are using is securely connected to the correct port.
    • Make sure you are using the correct cable to connect your display.

" (See resource linked above)

Take care.

Dell U3417W monitor not working after installing Ventura 13.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.