Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MPEG Streamclip

So the latest Mac OS update no longer supports MPEG Streamclip. I have been using it for a very long time to make subclips from much larger files. Anyone have any software recommendations on what to use instead?

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 10:06 AM

19 replies

Jan 21, 2020 12:50 AM in response to jadersh

I don't understand your problem. OK, so they did not announce it out loud, but Apple has put a simple function at disposal, to separate part of the HD in a really nifty way. Obviously nobody ever looks at System Utilities? It does no longer have to be a partition chosen when installing the OS whose size you can no longer change later. Simply install your old OS and software there, should you really need them. Check out https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/disk-utility/dskutl14027/mac

Oct 11, 2019 2:05 AM in response to Apple2Drew

This wonderful program has not been updated in many years. Apple has announced a long time ago that Mojave would be the last version to have any support for 32-bit applications, so you had ample warning. Nobody forced you to upgrade. iMovies works fine in Mojave.

If you want, you can back up your mac and install Mojave again. It is available for download. Instructions for how to get it and for installing are wide available.

Oct 14, 2019 10:31 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I also loved using MPEG Streamclip too - fortunately my main audio rig (a high Sierra Mac Pro 2010 cheese grater) still runs it. Catalina also cut support for the ancient (but powerful) Quicktime 7 Pro. I think the issue with Apple's Quicktime is that it doesn't allow exporting into multiple formats - something MPEG Streamclip did very well, like Avid's Pro Tools-compatible video formats. I am hoping someone fills the void left by these apps falling off the list.... fingers crossed, but this is why I keep old machines around - they are trusty workhorses.

Oct 14, 2019 9:55 PM in response to TomiGunn

Well, MPEG Streamclip was already an ancient program when high Sierra came out... honestly Apple can’t monitor every little app that comes out—doesn’t make it any less frustrating. But perhaps the people to hit up are the developers, not the hardware manufacturers.

All that aside, I’d much rather have them bless Mojave’s drivers for the Nvidia GTX970 than make a little video converter work.

Oct 16, 2019 9:02 AM in response to jadersh

Yes, I just discovered this a few minutes ago too. MPEG Streamclip was my favorite way to convert videos to H.264 and other formats. I guess I finally have to buy compressor after 15+? years of not owning it! VLC still runs if you get their latest free version so maybe I will work with that more.

Oh, and I was just reminded about HandBrake too which has a version which seems to run on Catalina just fine

MPEG Streamclip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.