Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

YouTube not working on Safari!

I have an iPad Pro and ever since ios13 came out, YouTube won’t work on safari... when you try and play a video the YouTube screen goes pixelated and it comes up with “Safari cannot open the page because the address is invalid.”

works fine with Firefox and the YouTube app 🤔☹️

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2019 7:52 AM

I think I found the problem... when we had the update, safari was automatically set to find the desktop version of the YouTube and other websites. Yet when I would go to YouTube, it automatically sent me to the mobile site. As a result of safari looking for the desktop version, it would say the mobile site had an invalid address. I went to settings, then to safari, and under the heading “settings for websites” click on “request desktop website”. Turn the setting to off, and you should be all set. Thanks to the other commenters who gave me the leads I needed to find this! Hope this works for you.

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2019 7:52 AM in response to nick904

I think I found the problem... when we had the update, safari was automatically set to find the desktop version of the YouTube and other websites. Yet when I would go to YouTube, it automatically sent me to the mobile site. As a result of safari looking for the desktop version, it would say the mobile site had an invalid address. I went to settings, then to safari, and under the heading “settings for websites” click on “request desktop website”. Turn the setting to off, and you should be all set. Thanks to the other commenters who gave me the leads I needed to find this! Hope this works for you.

Nov 19, 2019 7:50 PM in response to nick904

Here's the answer...

In the settings on the Safari (look for "aA" on the browser URL edit line). Click on this and you'll get a drop-down box.

There will be an icon that looks like a gear. Click on this. Select the "Request Desktop Website" button to be off. You will now automatically get the mobile Youtube websites which work in Safari for the ipad.

You're welcome. :-)

Nov 7, 2019 5:31 PM in response to welshdude

It’s NOT that Apple didn't want to integrate Adobe Flash Player, Adobe could not develop an iOS version of Flash Player that was optimised enough for iOS and Adobe could not optimise the code to NOT be severe battery draining software/code on all iOS devices.

Especially smaller battery devices, like iPhones and iPods/iPod Touches.

Adobe gave up on designing ANY mobile version of Adobe Flash Player for all of the different mobile device makers starting with ending a mobile version of Adobe Flash Player for iOS, first.

Adobe was incapable of coding and optimizing a mobile Flash Player for ANY mobile platform/OS.

This had NOTNING to do with Apple other than Apple rejecting a poorly coded, battery sucking mobile version of Adobe Flash Player for any of Apple’s iOS devices.

Adobe decided, on their own, to quit trying by 2012.

Nov 10, 2019 10:31 PM in response to nick904

I get exactly this problem too. I have to use chrome now since I can't downgrade to IO 12.4.1. This is in essence making my ipad air2 really difficult to use and is strongly leaning me towards getting a Surface Windows computer for web browsing.

Apple, YOU NEED TO FIX THIS as it makes your products seem very amateurish from a support standpoint. Heck, Linux has better web browser and video support !!!!

Nov 11, 2019 1:37 AM in response to welshdude

Flash player support, on ALL platforms, finally ends 31/12/2020. Flash is very old and increasingly difficult to keep securely patched. For Adobe, the developer of Flash, it’s very much a case of “whack a mole”.

New vulnerabilities and exploits are being discovered all the time - and given both the age and difficulty of keeping its code secure, it is being permanently deprecated. Despite most modern OS having already abandoned Flash, Adobe are maintaining limited support for some legacy OS - principally to give web developers extended time to migrate legacy code to alternatives such as HTML5.

Most reputable websites already support alternatives to Flash. Those that negligently fail to migrate will be consigned to history.

For Apple, adding Flash support to a “modern” OS - for an old, buggy, fundamentally insecure component that is about to be permanently killed - makes no sense at all. Apple operating systems are built with “security” being a primary consideration.

Nov 11, 2019 6:42 AM in response to welshdude

Really....

It wasn't just Apple.

Adobe simply could NOT make an efficient mobile Flash Player for any mobile OS. Period!

Adobe,,themselves, through up their arms and stated they were giving up on a mobile Flash Player.

It appears that no software coders, at Adobe, that were/are responsible for Flash Player development, were smart enough to be able to come up with any semblance of a trimmed down, battery efficient version of Flash Player for any mobile devices.

At this late date, it’s never going to happen.

Blame Adobe; NOT Apple.

Nov 11, 2019 2:18 PM in response to MichelPM

Sorry but you can't exonerate Apple in this case. Apple could have made a deal with Adobe to get the code and then work on it. Heck they could have written their own white-room version. Apple has the staff and capability. It's purely a political thing with Apple. Apple re wrote USB drivers because they needed support!!

Microsoft has written many things to support weird stuff. If Microsoft can do it, you bet Apple can too. Maybe Apple doesn't have the same quality of coders that Microsoft has. Not my problem but it is my choice when I upgrade my platform !!

Apple support has been terrible since Jobs left. It's become a cookie cutting company with less innovation and support IMO.

Feb 4, 2020 1:07 PM in response to welshdude

What is wrong with using a third party Web browser on your iPad?

I have never liked Safari, ever, on iOS OR macOS.

And I hate Google Chrome as Google doesn't need to mine anymore of my personal data than they already have throughout my entire computer life, using their data sucking browser.

The ONLY thing Google on my iOS devices and my Macs is Google Drive as the costs for data storage were too cheap to pass up!

I use Mozilla Firefox on both iOS devices and my Macs for many years!

I even use one other third party Web browser on my iPads for years, too!

YouTube not working on Safari!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.