Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari crashing and glitching fix?

Oh I just got my iPad Pro 12.9 on 26 October and I’m having problems with Safari. At first I thought it was my Internet connection but I ruled that out and I also ruled out cellular versus Wi-Fi. I’m getting intermittent connection loss through Safari only especially on YouTube.

If I use the YouTube app, I do not have these problems, which are resizing content on YouTube to where content is hanging off screen, freezing or non loaded webpages when scrolling even when not on the YouTube website. I can scroll down, then back up and webpage is now blank.

I also can’t unsubscribe or edit posts in YouTube through Safari, but don’t have this problem through the YouTube app.

I tried clearing browser cache, reset the iPad, delete “everything” and starting over.

The problems still persist. So either the 16.1 update didn’t install correctly or Safari is the problem. I prefer Safari due to more efficient use of system resources netting me better battery life.

What should I do to correct the problem?

So do I need to go to Apple and have them reinstall the operating system or wait for an update to Safari

Thanks.

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 1:55 PM

Hello, Systemlord1.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

To help narrow things down, have you tried other websites for videos or streaming content to see if the same thing occurs? If this occurs with others, then it could be Safari. Looks like you've done most of the steps in this article here: If Safari isn't loading websites or quits on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support Did you also try the final step if applicable?

"If the issue continues and only affects a certain website or webpage, check if you have Private Relay turned on. You can temporarily turn off Private Relay in iCloud Settings. If Safari still doesn't load websites and you tried all of these steps, contact the website developer for more help."

If this is indeed a Safari issue, you don't need to go through Apple to reinstall. Make sure to backup your data first: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

You can use the steps in this article as long as you have a computer with iTunes or Finder: If you can't update or restore your iPad - Apple Support

"Put your iPad in recovery mode and set it up again

1. Make sure that your Mac is up to date. If you're using iTunes, make sure you have the latest version of iTunes
  2. On a Mac with macOS Catalina, open Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes. If iTunes is already open, close it, then open it again. Find out which macOS your Mac is using.
  3. Keep your iPad connected and wait until the recovery mode screen appears:
  • For an iPad without a Home button: Press and quickly release the volume button closest to the top button. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button. Press and hold the top button.

4. Keep holding the button (or buttons) until you see the recovery mode screen:

5. Locate your iPad on your computer. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. Your computer will try to reinstall the software without erasing your data. Wait while your computer downloads the software for your iPad. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your iPad exits the recovery mode screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.

6. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your iPad."

Just be sure to follow Step #5 preciously to reinstall iOS without losing data.

Keep us updated.

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2022 1:55 PM in response to Systemlord1

Hello, Systemlord1.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

To help narrow things down, have you tried other websites for videos or streaming content to see if the same thing occurs? If this occurs with others, then it could be Safari. Looks like you've done most of the steps in this article here: If Safari isn't loading websites or quits on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support Did you also try the final step if applicable?

"If the issue continues and only affects a certain website or webpage, check if you have Private Relay turned on. You can temporarily turn off Private Relay in iCloud Settings. If Safari still doesn't load websites and you tried all of these steps, contact the website developer for more help."

If this is indeed a Safari issue, you don't need to go through Apple to reinstall. Make sure to backup your data first: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

You can use the steps in this article as long as you have a computer with iTunes or Finder: If you can't update or restore your iPad - Apple Support

"Put your iPad in recovery mode and set it up again

1. Make sure that your Mac is up to date. If you're using iTunes, make sure you have the latest version of iTunes
  2. On a Mac with macOS Catalina, open Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes. If iTunes is already open, close it, then open it again. Find out which macOS your Mac is using.
  3. Keep your iPad connected and wait until the recovery mode screen appears:
  • For an iPad without a Home button: Press and quickly release the volume button closest to the top button. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button. Press and hold the top button.

4. Keep holding the button (or buttons) until you see the recovery mode screen:

5. Locate your iPad on your computer. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. Your computer will try to reinstall the software without erasing your data. Wait while your computer downloads the software for your iPad. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your iPad exits the recovery mode screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.

6. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your iPad."

Just be sure to follow Step #5 preciously to reinstall iOS without losing data.

Keep us updated.

Cheers!

Nov 6, 2022 9:24 AM in response to Systemlord1

These issues do happen with other browsers and after going to Apple and having them overwrite the iOS the issues not only persisted but got worse.

I have disabled “limit IP address tracking” and “Hide IP address” and after a couple of days will update. From what I have read these two settings have been causing issues with webpages loading since iOS 8.

I am amazed that Verizon tech-support an Apple tech-support never suggested I disable these settings to see if it resolve my issues with what’s been a well known issue for some time now.

Nov 6, 2022 9:47 AM in response to Systemlord1

Systemlord1,

We want to clarify a few points to help us work out more about what could be happening. You've mentioned the YouTube website. Are you only having issues with that website?

Also, for confirmation on a few of the steps you've mentioned, did you find the same result when you tested on both other Wi-Fi networks and cellular data?

When you restored the device at the Apple Store, it sounds like you erased it entirely. Did you restore data from a backup after?

Also, do you use VPN software or any type of security software? If so, we recommend temporarily disabling it and then testing to see if that makes a difference.

Let us know how it goes, and we'll see if we can further help. Take care.

Safari crashing and glitching fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.