Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDFs won't open since Catalina

After updating to catalina, i noticed that all of my PDF icons changed to Affinity Photo. when I went back in to change the default to Preview, it took care of that issue, but now nothing is opening at all. Preview opens, but the PDF does not. i now cannot open PDFs at all. Is anyone else having this issue or know of a workaround?

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 10:42 PM

OK. Same issue here I think... Recently I noticed all PDF file icons were defaulting to to Affinity Photo. I used "Get info" on one PDF file and used the "Open with" to reassign to Preview by default, and then hit "Change all". PDF file icons started showing up as Preview again, but trying to open any PDF resulted in Preview getting focus, then a few seconds of nothing, followed by Finder animating the file icon as if it was opening, then nothing... not even an error. Restarted. Nothing. Did some disk first aid, nothing. Hitting space for a quick preview of a PDF worked fine, reassigning PDF's to another app worked fine, reassigning back to Preview and nothing. Opening other image formats in Preview worked fine (jpg, png), opening PDF's in other apps worked fine. I did some of the suggestions listed here, deleting Preview preferences and also the Preview Container directory, logged out and back in again and still no improvement. I created a new test user and logged in – PDFs opened fine in Preview there! Hmmm... It felt like a securities/permission type bug so logged back into my own account (PDF's still failed to open in Preview) and followed https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203538 Initially after following the steps and logging out and back in, still no luck. I gave up at this point, and tried to get on with some work. About an hour later I had to restart as a couple of apps were now unexpectedly starting giving the pinwheel of death opening files. After the restart, PDF's were opening again in Preview! I'm going to assume the guidance to "Reset permissions" procedure in Finder followed by a:

diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`

...may have done the trick, and just required a full restart and not just a logout and login again, however at some point in desperation I did also try a:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

...so can't be 100% as to what the fix may have been. Good luck!

117 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2019 10:42 PM in response to mdebernardi

OK. Same issue here I think... Recently I noticed all PDF file icons were defaulting to to Affinity Photo. I used "Get info" on one PDF file and used the "Open with" to reassign to Preview by default, and then hit "Change all". PDF file icons started showing up as Preview again, but trying to open any PDF resulted in Preview getting focus, then a few seconds of nothing, followed by Finder animating the file icon as if it was opening, then nothing... not even an error. Restarted. Nothing. Did some disk first aid, nothing. Hitting space for a quick preview of a PDF worked fine, reassigning PDF's to another app worked fine, reassigning back to Preview and nothing. Opening other image formats in Preview worked fine (jpg, png), opening PDF's in other apps worked fine. I did some of the suggestions listed here, deleting Preview preferences and also the Preview Container directory, logged out and back in again and still no improvement. I created a new test user and logged in – PDFs opened fine in Preview there! Hmmm... It felt like a securities/permission type bug so logged back into my own account (PDF's still failed to open in Preview) and followed https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203538 Initially after following the steps and logging out and back in, still no luck. I gave up at this point, and tried to get on with some work. About an hour later I had to restart as a couple of apps were now unexpectedly starting giving the pinwheel of death opening files. After the restart, PDF's were opening again in Preview! I'm going to assume the guidance to "Reset permissions" procedure in Finder followed by a:

diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`

...may have done the trick, and just required a full restart and not just a logout and login again, however at some point in desperation I did also try a:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

...so can't be 100% as to what the fix may have been. Good luck!

Oct 11, 2019 10:11 AM in response to mdebernardi

I'm having the same issue. Can't open any PDFs in either Preview or Acrobat.

Acrobat: Adobe Acrobat Reader could not open 'filename.pdf' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

Preview: The file “filename.pdf” could not be opened. It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize.

Oct 15, 2019 2:01 AM in response to mdebernardi

I think there may be a problem with the Preview app. I posted a problem I am having with Preview opening PDFs only a week or so ago with no solution. I have reported this to Apple but don't suppose I will hear.

My post is here; https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250719196

These PDFs, some are quite large refuse to open in Preview but will, by using Adobe Acrobat Reader (Ver. 19.012.20040).They open almost immediately in Adobe but I much prefer the design & layout of Preview to Adobe.

Nov 30, 2019 7:06 PM in response to jesgramenz

I had success following these Apple Directions to correct the Home Folder (Desktop) Permissions for all documents including PDF files which got wiped out by Catalina:   https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

However,

The System Preference > Security And Privacy > General tab > "RequirePassword X Hours after sleep or screen saver begins" forces me to reboot my computer 100% of the time when this system setting forces a logout. Very Annoying.

Terry

Nov 15, 2019 3:00 AM in response to mdebernardi

In my own words: (MacBook Pro Retina late 2012, OS Catalina)

• Unable to open any PDF files via Preview for a few weeks now (error message: Unable to open File or Document).
  • Premise: since installing Dropbox on my Mac a few weeks ago, for some reason I keep choosing "not now" whenever prompted to allow Dropbox to access files my computer.
  • Tried to install a PDF app, but to no avail.
  • Today at some point I was asked again to allow or deny Dropbox to access my computer and decided to give it permission and guess what?
  • Problem resolved.

Oct 14, 2019 9:15 AM in response to mdebernardi

I can open PDF's but can't modify them and save them. Every time I try to save a file that is modified it says "The document “name of document” could not be saved as “name of document”.  I'm not sure what the problem is but it started once I updated to Catalina on my iMac. I've got a MacBook Pro as well and before I updated it to Catalina it had no issues with PDF's but now I'm dealing with the same issues as the iMac is having.

Here's a screenshot.

Oct 8, 2019 3:41 PM in response to mdebernardi

well i can't imagine what is happening. everything was working fine prior to my installing Catalina last night, and now i cannot get Preview to open documents. i've rebooted numerous times and still getting the same issue. to top it off, my alternate pdf reader was adobe acrobat pro x, which has also been broken by the update (it was 32-bit, i assume).

so, does anyone have a suggestion for a good, free pdf app that will allow me to fill in pdf forms as well?

thanks

Oct 11, 2019 10:30 AM in response to mdebernardi

Os it possible to upload one such file (one without any personal or sensitive information, of course) to some place online and post a link, so we can test whether or not the file is corrupted? It seems unlikely that a lot of files got corrupted, and my guess is that this is caused by some software conflict.

Also, try booting in Safe Mode. Do these same files open in Safe Mode?

Oct 12, 2019 1:59 PM in response to mdebernardi

mdebernardi...when you "Get Info" on a PDF (i.e., ⌘Command + I) you notice about ⅔ down, "Open with..." and a dropdown menu. (see my screenshot below). What is your's set to as default? When you click on the dropdown, you will see the choices you have and Preview should be one of the choices. Make sure it is set to Preview.

Preview works on my Catalina but I use Adobe Acrobat Pro and I set my default to Acrobat.

I hope this works for you.

PDFs won't open since Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.