Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How To Keep My Mac from upgrading to Catalina?

How To Keep My Mac from upgrading to Catalina? I wish to keep my iTunes Music and anything connected to it. I buy lots of music from iTunes and it helps me keep my music in order. The upgrade to Catalina, takes away iTunes, so I'm not going to manually install Catalina but how do I keep my mac from automatically installing Catalina?

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 1:25 PM

Thank you for your reply Allan. As most of my music is on CD's (so last century now) I didn't fancy having to re-load all of them again. As for my iPod Classic, it's still going strong and remains a pleasure to use. I have yet to venture into music streaming!

19 replies

Oct 23, 2019 8:49 AM in response to pcole1204

So far I have seen none of that on my Macs. Maybe there is something wrong with your Mac which can be shown with an Etrecheck report as suggested below.

I suggest you use the program created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  It will provide a snapshot of your system which we can analyze to possibly determine the cause of your problem. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/etrecheck/id1423715984?mt=12

Use the Add Text button to include the Etrecheck report in your reply.

Oct 9, 2019 12:49 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Allan, does your reply mean that I will still be able to access all of the CD's I've loaded into iTunes and do you know if I will still be able to sync with my iPod Classic.

I am seeing some confusion as to wether the demise of iTunes is covered fully by it's replacements?

Do you know of any half decent non Apple music apps that I may be able to use instead of a iTunes (sorry to ask but I hope you may know).

I am still using 10.13.6 High Sierra

Oct 9, 2019 1:05 PM in response to Peter Bovis

Yes, your content is preserved. Catalina can sync to iPod classic. (A couple of users found they had to restore and reload.)

All the general features of iTunes for managing, purchasing and playing your media are covered in the new apps. Specific features such as the column browser, or artwork in the songs view, have gone.

If you're still running High Sierra is that because Mojave wasn't an option, or because you didn't fancy it at the time? FWIW I now have a triple boot system capable of switching between High Sierra, Mojave, and Catalina. Mostly I'm in Catalina.

tt2

Oct 9, 2019 1:22 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your input. I stayed with High Sierra after reading about so many issues with Mojave. My iMac is a 2017 model which replaced a much loved 2008 model. My 2017 iMac came with H.S. pre-loaded and I have had no issues with the OS whatsoever.

I do not spend hours in front of my iMac, using it mainly for photography photo editing and of course music of many different types. Whilst iTunes has always been a 'mare' I have happily managed with it since my first iMac and now I'm getting on in years I am obviously resistant to change!!!!!!

I will let the dust settle on the introduction of Catalina, then check all of my software & other hardware will work with it and perhaps take the upgrade path in the New Year. I must add, Mojave was the first OS update that I didn't just download and install. Perhaps I need a good talking to :):):)

Oct 10, 2019 2:17 AM in response to BobbieJo2058

Dont upgrade to Catalina, half of my programs doesn't work with it. And its very difficult to go back to a previous os. Its just ruined my computer. Im really angry, the whole system became useless. Have to change back to windows, which I hated so much, but at least you can run whatever you want. Well done apple, you just ruined the whole os. It only good for those whose just casually use the system, but not for professional users.

Oct 23, 2019 12:18 AM in response to BobbieJo2058

Switching to Catalina for me has been so frustrating, my workflow/productivity is ow extremely difficult as the operating system in my experience is very 'buggy', and if I had the technical expertise I would revert to the previous operating system.

Apple should be ashamed of themselves launching all these new operating systems which are not up to scratch.

Oct 23, 2019 2:44 PM in response to BobbieJo2058

Yes, I decided about two weeks ago that I was NOT going to upgrade to Catalina.

In the past, I upgraded to Mojave and the one before that but after reading that Apple was doing away with iTunes, that’s where I draw the line. I was told that iTunes will no longer work with Catalina. Apple needs to come up with a upgrade that keeps iTunes or else I’m staying with Mojave.

Oct 23, 2019 4:06 PM in response to BobbieJo2058

That is not going to happen. iTunes has become so over blotted doing so many functions which actually belonged elsewhere out from within iTunes. In order to solve this problem, the only option for Apple was to split up the function and thereby move various function back where they belonged, such as maintenance of mobile devices files and backups back to Finder where it belongs.

Have you even tried using the new apps that are replacing iTunes yet?

Exactly what can iTunes do for you that the new apps can't do?

Oct 24, 2019 3:32 AM in response to Allan Eckert

Allan Eckert wrote:

Exactly what can iTunes do for you that the new apps can't do?

Manage all types of media in one app (not strictly true on Mac since Books was carved out). Change compatible file types from one media kind to another. Edit metadata for more file types (e.g. Books lacks such functions). Use the column browser to aid locating and organising content. Artwork in list view. Inline display of content in grid layout. Allows for manual management of devices including the creation of playlists on device, playback of media on the device, filtered search, etc. (Have you tried locating something to delete from a manually managed device yet? - The display doesn't refresh when you do.) Keeps all media and the library in one unified folder structure that can be easily backed up and moved to a new drive or computer when required (Catalina throws the artwork cache, podcasts and audiobooks into hidden folders, again see Books). Consistent interface between platforms (again apart from Books). AirPlay selections maintained when switching from one media kind to another. Sync progress indication. Playlist support for podcasts and audiobooks.

The list goes on. If you didn't use a particular feature you won't miss it, but if it was part of your workflow for using your library you will, and the change is jarring.

tt2

How To Keep My Mac from upgrading to Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.