Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

32 bit Apps Catalina Dilemma

I have more than a few 32 bit apps and want to wait a while until the important ones are updated to 64 bit and I have the chance to test them out. There are no good substitutes for my uTorrent, Mazda Maps, Harmony Remote, Pure Music audiophile app and Google Photos Backup. I'm sure they are in the process of being updated. I haven't checked any of them in the past month. In the meantime it appears that not upgrading to Catalina will exclude me from security updates with Mojave! This is not good. I either give up my 32 bit apps or stay with Mojave and lose security updates. How's that for being caught between rock and a hard place.

I was on the phone with Apple support and they could not offer me any way to get security updates for Mojave without upgrading to Catalina. My older Mac Mini with High Sierra could not be upgraded to Mojave and I still get security updates with no problem. I use it mainly as an audiophile music player and for streaming some movies. It is best suited as an add on for my entertainment system rather than for "computer work".

I'm glad I have the Mini for 32 bit apps but it is not an ideal substitute for my MacBook Pro. I have no great need for Catalina at this time and will also have to wait and see how my audiophile tracks will work with the new music app and my Pure Music app as well. I could have left them as Flac but converted them to ALAC, my bad! It was done to have all my music in one place. Lesson, nothing lasts forever.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 4:27 PM

I did a Google search and Mojave has maintenance downloads for security that are separate from the integrated updates with system preferences. The last updates listed were for September so I assume this will be where to look for new ones. There would be no reminder to update but at least I have a found a place to look for them. Since both High Sierra and Mojave were listed together I would probably get a reminder when I get notified for my Mac Mini's High Sierra. This is hopefully a good solution for me and allows me to stay with Mojave for a while till my 32 bit apps get sorted out without security worries.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2019 4:27 PM in response to georosejr

I did a Google search and Mojave has maintenance downloads for security that are separate from the integrated updates with system preferences. The last updates listed were for September so I assume this will be where to look for new ones. There would be no reminder to update but at least I have a found a place to look for them. Since both High Sierra and Mojave were listed together I would probably get a reminder when I get notified for my Mac Mini's High Sierra. This is hopefully a good solution for me and allows me to stay with Mojave for a while till my 32 bit apps get sorted out without security worries.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

Oct 8, 2019 3:20 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for the reply. It seems I'll have to wait and see how Apple notifies me about security updates as they come to my older High Sierra OS through the app store. Mojave updates come through system preferences. I question how I am to receive updates if I'm constantly reminded to upgrade to Catalina. If I turn off the update reminder for Catalina will Apple remind me about security updates in the system settings or through the App store? I guess I will find out in a while or maybe not.

32 bit Apps Catalina Dilemma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.