Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

catalina problems

PLEASE tell me where I going wrong here

I have recently, after much hesitation, upgraded(?) my 2012 Mac Mini to Catalina. 

I realise that this is the latest Upgrade that I can perform and at one stage I was wondering whether  I want to get an M1 Mac Mini. 

Having performed the OS Upgrade at least, I am left wondering if I REALLY want anything Apple again!

This internal battle stems from the major changes which have occurred during the split-off of the iTunes components. 

Can it really be that Apple would deliberately cripple the capabilities developed over the years allowing users to organise and access their own carefully curated media?

I, in common with thousands of others, have a deep interest in this media collection: to find that my own interests and organisation have been suborned to Apple’s over-weaning urge to get more money from us by providing “new” software that appears to exist solely as a catchment to sell more of their own media beggars belief; one had noticed signs of this in TVOS whereby the ability to use Siri to search one’s own library appeared to have disappeared. 

Please show me where my understanding has gone awry- how do I access MY movies and TV programs conveniently. 

Please tell me that I am just being shortsighted here and point me in the “right”direction.

Thanks in anticipation,

Terry Brinkworth

Northumberland, England

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 11, 2022 8:20 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 11, 2022 8:38 AM in response to Terry Q Brinkworth

Could you describe “MY movies and TV programs”?

That said, both the Mac mini 2012 and iTunes have long been obsoleted, so unless you move up, there’s unfortunately only more frustration ahead.

Alternatively, you could invest in a low-cost Apple TV and “migrate” your collection, also listening habits over. It’s simpler than it sounds but does require discarding old habits (however well they may have served you in the past).

Mar 11, 2022 11:40 PM in response to Terry Q Brinkworth

I can recommend Apple TV 4K + 3rd party App, File Explorer Pro. One license works across all versions iOS, TVOS & macOS. Assuming your collection is stored outside of iTunes, FE from Apple TV will pull it seamlessly across a local network and play your content. You can try the free version on your 2012 mini but not on the Apple TV since it comes without network support. Both versions are ad-less. I use it across all OSes, works flawlessly, no issues.

catalina problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.