Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating Adobe Flash Player in a macOS Catalina environment

How to update Adobe Flash Player in a macOS Catalina environment

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 4:29 PM

26 replies

Dec 6, 2019 2:32 PM in response to dialabrain

You can still use and install Flash in chrome. It still works. I'm still using it. Google blocks flash by default. You must override it on a site by site basis.

I prefer Flash in Chrome for streaming especially with BT because there are fewer problems with BT devices getting out sync between audio/video tracks.

1. Install Flash
  2. Visit your URL
  3. In the address bar to the left of the URL, there will be a padlock (see screenshot)
  4. Tap on the padlock
  5. The 'Flash' dropdown box will default to ask (this means that Flash isn't going to run and you probably aren't going to see the prompt)
  6. Change the prompt to 'Allow'
  7. You will be asked to reload the page
  8. Reload the page

Now, You can configure the settings for the page so that Flash will always load BUT google in its infinite wisdom will reset these especially for Flash so be prepared for Flash to just stop working. I don't know if this is because server IPs change or what.

Oct 8, 2019 4:39 PM in response to zenfromeagan

I've been looking for the reference to include here but cannot find it right now.

I've read that as of MacOS Catalina, Adobe Flash is neither supported nor required. Safari uses some other newer technology instead. Further, I believe as of 2020, Adobe will no longer offer Flash to anybody.

Personally, I prepared for MacOS Catalina by removing Flash while I still had MacOS Mojave installed.

Oct 12, 2019 6:45 AM in response to sberman

Thank you the information.

Situation: downloaded macOS Catalina a few days ago and noticed that YouTube videos were not playing on Safari. However, I was able to play the videos on Google Chrome. Still, I wanted access to videos on Safari. Read a few articles about the topic and kept coming across uninstalling Adobe Flash Player and reinstalling it.

What I did: I uninstalled Adobe Flash and while doing a search to reinstall Adobe Flash, I came upon this post. So far, I left it uninstalled and now the YouTube videos are playing. If Adobe is not going to use Flash anymore, I figure it won't hurt to leave it uninstalled.

I'm not tech savvy and really don't know what 32-bit app means. So far, the videos work. If you have any tips or cautions, feel free to let me know. Thank you.

Oct 12, 2019 3:02 PM in response to SeanCorrain

SeanCorrain wrote:

I did not think to do that before upgrading.

I don't know what "that" means.

Is it too late to remove it?

I don't know what "it" means. But if you're thinking of retrograding away from MacOS Catalina, that is almost certainly the wrong approach.

As dialabrain correctly stated, almost no sites use Flash any more. There is some better approach out there to your issue, but you have not stated what your issue might be.

Dec 6, 2019 3:10 PM in response to Lanny

The problem is, when I use certain BT devices, once those devices get below about a 70% charge, the audio/video tracks get out of sync when I use Safari. I don't have this problem with Chrome. I don't fully understand how the BT stack interacts with video and audio in Chrome and Safari so I can't explain why this happens.

Believe me, I'd prefer to use Safari. I use Safari whenever possible but it is not always possible.

Updating Adobe Flash Player in a macOS Catalina environment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.