Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Maps - disable night/dark mode navigation

Is there anyway in iOS13.1.2 to disable night mode in Apple Maps navigation, or to toggle back to day mode? I’ve tried disabling Dark Mode in settings, I’ve tried changing the time zone on the phone to somewhere in the world where it’s still daylight but that doesn’t work either. It doesn’t matter whether nightshift is off or on, nor if CarPlay is being used or not. I’m not sure why Apple thought light grey lines on a darker grey background would be universally unequivocally popular but I’d like the ability to get higher contrast mapping back, if anyone knows how! 🤞🤞🤞

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 1:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 1:40 PM

Hi thanks for replying! You certainly can turn dark mode off and on for the iPhone, but that’s not what I was requesting help with. Apple Maps automatically switches to dark mode using the light sensor on the front of the device, and there’s seemingly no way to stop it from doing that. I came here in hope there was a way or someone knew it was getting fixed. Doesn’t seem like it ☹️

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2019 1:40 PM in response to scorchia

Hi thanks for replying! You certainly can turn dark mode off and on for the iPhone, but that’s not what I was requesting help with. Apple Maps automatically switches to dark mode using the light sensor on the front of the device, and there’s seemingly no way to stop it from doing that. I came here in hope there was a way or someone knew it was getting fixed. Doesn’t seem like it ☹️

Oct 12, 2019 12:29 PM in response to plattbridger

You can switch between Dark and Light mode, that will change how your maps are displayed. To turn Dark Mode on quickly in iOS 13, you'll need to make sure the "Dark Mode" control is in your Control Center. There is another way to toggle Dark Mode on, but its own control is the fastest way. In the Settings app, tap "Control Center," then "Customize Controls." Then, add "Dark Mode" to the Include section and exit the settings.

Nov 19, 2019 7:34 PM in response to Vychys

Me too!! The app is in dark mode until I hit start navigation, the goes to light mode during navigation. No issue with light sensor as Google Maps changes fines and phone dims on calls. I have tried hard reset, reinstalling the app, and a restore. After the restore it worked fine by staying in dark mode during navigation once, and since that will be in light mode during navigation.

Dec 3, 2019 12:32 PM in response to plattbridger

I have the same problem with Maps, und just mad that Apple doesn’t provid any solution, just only restore the device. I can’t undeserved what is going on there at Apple, but iOS 13.2 is just a bigest **** ever. Who came to idea at all, to make jus a half of a Maps GUI in dark, but if you start routing, it goes in light mode. It ignore the Dark Mode settings completely, and just controlled by light sensor. But in the city or train is not so dark. Anyway, it’s bullshit.

Dec 28, 2019 12:12 PM in response to Vychys

I also had this problem, tried everything in the thread including forcing my phone to dark mode and although this would set the CarPlay display in Dark Mode, maps would always display in Light Mode (even at night).

I have however found a solution - I set my phone to schedule Dark Mode automatically from sunset to sunrise, and lo and behold my CarPlay maps now come up in Dark Mode at sunset when my phone changes its 'base setting'. This allows me to have my lights on during the day with light maps (my Audi A3 doesn't automatically change the display to Dark Mode as the Pioneer head unit is aftermarket) and when the maps do change to Dark Mode, the inside of the car is dark enough for night mode.

Hope this workaround works for others as well.

Apple Maps - disable night/dark mode navigation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.