Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB cable connection

Sometimes I change devices connected to the iMac USB. Rather than plugging in and out each time is it alright to leave a USB cord plugged in with nothing connected on the other end?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 4:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 5:40 AM

Yea, I have been doing that for years without any problem. I currently have 3 empty cables connected to my Mac for easy access, a USB Lighting cable, a Mini USB 2.0 cable and a USB 3.0 cable. The USB Lighting and Mini USB are connected to a USB hub and the USB 3.0 cable is connected directly to one of the Mac's USB 3.0 ports. I also used to have one of the old USB wide blade iPad and iPod USB cables, but pulled it when I quit using my 1st gen iPad.

IMHO it puts a lot less ware on the Mac's USB ports, plus eliminates the need to reach around and hunt for a USB port.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2019 5:40 AM in response to jmsfmtex

Yea, I have been doing that for years without any problem. I currently have 3 empty cables connected to my Mac for easy access, a USB Lighting cable, a Mini USB 2.0 cable and a USB 3.0 cable. The USB Lighting and Mini USB are connected to a USB hub and the USB 3.0 cable is connected directly to one of the Mac's USB 3.0 ports. I also used to have one of the old USB wide blade iPad and iPod USB cables, but pulled it when I quit using my 1st gen iPad.

IMHO it puts a lot less ware on the Mac's USB ports, plus eliminates the need to reach around and hunt for a USB port.

USB cable connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.