Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina iCloud log in errors

I upgraded to Catalina on a MacBook and iMac. Both I could not log into iCloud after upgrade. I change my appleid password and relogged in on MacBook and problem solved

On iMac however, I can't log into iCloud and says I am logged into that account go to internet settings to remove account. I have its not there, I have no other account but I can't log into iCloud and I can't readd my mail, contact settings etc at all. So I can't have apple mail connecting to my iCloud email address/account

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 4:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 3:09 PM

Thanks - yes it worked. I didn’t even get the ash she’ll issue. Just ran the command, it executed came back to the standard Unix prompt. Switched to system preferences logged in and away we went.

thanks so much. Not sure how you found that fix but it’s a winner

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 11, 2019 8:16 PM in response to camwebb

I have a similar issue on my MacAir with email and icloud. It complains that the account is already there and wants me to remove it from the internet accounts but its not there. I've tried logging off all of my devices from icloud to no avail. I think somehow it's tied to me changing my apple ID. It was with a defunct email that didn't exist anymore and after the upgrade it was trying to send me email even though I had a different email attached to it (an icloud email). Somehow in the process of the upgrade I was allowed to change my apple ID so I figured it was ok to use the icloud.com email for my ID since it was already tied to the icloud email and icloud, etc. That may have been my problem but if so it's weird because the iphone and the ipad are fine with the change and I can still see my icloud.com emails on those devices. To add to the weirdness the email app on the MacAir allows me to go through the drill of adding the icloud mail account but does nothing with the data I give it. It acts like it takes it but no mail box appears. I'm thinking of reinstalling the upgrade.

Oct 13, 2019 12:39 AM in response to gwendolynfromrice

Hi I did the same thing.....I changed my primary email for appleid from .Mac.com to .me.com. So it looks like same issue and symptom. I cannot even add an iCloud account to my mail any more. So the whole mail app is useless. It does come back to iCloud login in settings being different to that for accounts and somehow even though I have deleted by profile, like there is absolutely no profile there...... it still thinks I am logged in. Its frustrating. Need an answer here

Oct 13, 2019 12:32 PM in response to camwebb

I finally fixed it last night. Initially I tried reinstalling Catalina but that messed up my APFS and I got the "Could not create a Preboot Volume for APFS Install. I researched that and apparently somewhere around Sierra Apple changed from HFS+ to APFS. Everything I found was saying I should delete the hard drive but I wasn't comfortable doing that. Figured that by now Apple had figured out how to roll that into the upgrade install so I opted for fixing the volumes on the drive. Then I reinstalled the OS. After that completed I hoped my issue with my id would be resolved but it wasn't. It was still complaining about the account I was using (my appleid) was already active. I stumbled upon someone (I'm going to go back and try to find their handle to give them credit) that said you should :

0pen the Terminal app

Type defaults delete MobileMeAccounts

Hit enter to execute this command. This will force macOS to sign you out of iCloud - now you should be able to log in from the iCloud pane in System Preferences.   

When I did this I got a message that the default shell had been changed and it prompted me to change it to the "zsh shell" which I did and then proceeded with the above.  The prompt came back and said that a MobileMeAccount didn't exist. Regardless, it did FIX THE PROBLEM!

Hope it works for you.

Catalina iCloud log in errors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.