Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot upgrade to Catalina, hard drive not formatted APFS.

When I tried to upgrade to Catalina, I received an error message saying my hard drive is not formatted APFS. Do I have to erase my hard drive and re-format? Thanks for any and all help.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 4:59 PM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you're seeing an error saying "The volume is not formatted as APFS." when you try to install macOS Catalina and you'd like to know if you need to erase and reformat the hard drive on your Mac. I know it's important to keep your Mac up-to-date; I'd like to help. Based on the error you're seeing, you will need to erase and reinstall macOS Mojave as APFS before upgrading to macOS Catalina. The resources below should help with creating a backup, erasing and reinstalling:

Best Regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2019 4:59 PM in response to Jeff Linder

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you're seeing an error saying "The volume is not formatted as APFS." when you try to install macOS Catalina and you'd like to know if you need to erase and reformat the hard drive on your Mac. I know it's important to keep your Mac up-to-date; I'd like to help. Based on the error you're seeing, you will need to erase and reinstall macOS Mojave as APFS before upgrading to macOS Catalina. The resources below should help with creating a backup, erasing and reinstalling:

Best Regards.

Oct 12, 2019 1:30 PM in response to Teddy_B

Hi, Jameson- Thanks very much. Found at this address is a way to upgrade to APFS "on the fly" without having to reformat.

https://www.macobserver.com/tips/how-to/upgrade-mac-apfs-after-high-sierra/

Although this is for HighSierra, I am running Mohave 10.14.6. Do you have any opinion or idea if this will work? Reason for asking . . . erasing, reformatting and using a Time Machine backup is a long process I would prefer to avoid. Thanks for your help. -Jeff

Cannot upgrade to Catalina, hard drive not formatted APFS.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.