Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Custom color profile leads to artifacts in Catalina

I just updated my Macbook Pro 15" to Catalina and noticed that the Custom color profile I have created leads to strange artifacts, especially the gradients around windows are not displayed correctly. This does not happen with the factory color profile. I have attached two pictures showing the issue. I have also redone the color calibration, but have the same issues with the new calibration as well.

I would appreciate any help in order to get rid of this, as I depend on a color-calibrated display for photography.

Factory profile:

Custom profile:

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 6:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 5:21 PM

Hi cheil,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I see from the photos you've provided that when you're using a custom color profile and seeing artifacts and shading that shouldn't occur. I can see why you'd reach out about this behavior; I'd like to help. First, I'd recommend using these steps to Check and repair color profiles in ColorSync Utility on Mac

If you continue to see the same behavior, try testing in a new user account: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

If the issue persists in the new user account with a custom profile, use these steps to reset the NVRAM on your Mac: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2019 5:21 PM in response to cheil

Hi cheil,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I see from the photos you've provided that when you're using a custom color profile and seeing artifacts and shading that shouldn't occur. I can see why you'd reach out about this behavior; I'd like to help. First, I'd recommend using these steps to Check and repair color profiles in ColorSync Utility on Mac

If you continue to see the same behavior, try testing in a new user account: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

If the issue persists in the new user account with a custom profile, use these steps to reset the NVRAM on your Mac: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

Oct 30, 2019 8:51 AM in response to cheil

Hi Christoph,

We appreciate you getting back to us with those additional details and testing you've tried. I understand it's important to have a calibrated color profile to work with. Next, I'd suggest using this resource to run First Aid via Disk Utility, then test again: Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

If you see no errors returned or the behavior continues use the resources below to create a recent backup, then reinstall macOS:

If the behavior persists after reinstalling macOS, reach out to Apple for additional assistance: Get Support

Best Regards.

Oct 16, 2019 9:05 AM in response to cheil

Hey Christoph!

Thanks for taking the time to work through those steps and provide additional details. Since we've narrowed the issue to your user account, let's have you try starting in safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Please keep in mind that the color profile may not appear normally due to limited performance in safe mode: Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode

After starting in safe mode, restart your Mac normally and test for the issue again. If you continue to see the same behavior, are you able to try removing and reinstalling the color profile?

Take Care.

Oct 14, 2019 7:12 AM in response to cheil

Dear jameson.h

I'm sorry, but I have been too fast in replying. After a few minutes, the issue occurred again, even with the repaired profiles.

So I went on and created a test account, for which I also installed the same profile. There, the banding does not occur.

Do you have any idea which parts of my account-specific data and profiles I have to delete in order to restore the correct behaviour?

Thanks a lot!

Christoph

Oct 30, 2019 2:22 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Dear alex_h1,

Thanks a lot for your reply and please do excuse my long silence. I have been testing various things, and need to revoke my previous statement that the issue is not present with a new user account. It does indeed also occur with a fresh user account.

I could track the problem down to the "True Tone" feature. If True Tone is activated, there are no artifacts and no banding, but as soon as I switch True Tone off, I get the issues as shown in my initial post. This is quite unfortunate, as for my work with photos I need the colors to be as accurate and consistent as possible, which is why I need to turn True Tone off and use a calibrated color profile.

Looking forward hearing back from you,

Christ

Custom color profile leads to artifacts in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.