Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stickies keeps on crashing on catalina

Since upgraded to macOS 10.15 Catalina stickies always crashes on start up.

iMac 2017 27"

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 9:34 AM

Hello Paschoal,

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're having trouble with Stickies after the macOS Catalina update. I'd be happy to provide information that may help.

To start, when you opened Stickies for the first time after the update, you should have been prompted with a few steps to complete. You can find more information here: Stickies User Guide.

If you're still unable to use Stickies as expected, try starting up in safe mode using the steps here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac.

You also may want to test in another user account: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac.

I hope that helps. Take care!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2019 9:34 AM in response to Paschoal

Hello Paschoal,

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're having trouble with Stickies after the macOS Catalina update. I'd be happy to provide information that may help.

To start, when you opened Stickies for the first time after the update, you should have been prompted with a few steps to complete. You can find more information here: Stickies User Guide.

If you're still unable to use Stickies as expected, try starting up in safe mode using the steps here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac.

You also may want to test in another user account: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac.

I hope that helps. Take care!

Nov 3, 2019 5:07 PM in response to Raddatz

I am using Catalina 10.15.1, and the Stickies application is working for me without incident. It now requires that you save every new sticky that you create, or it threatens to lose it. I recommend to create a Stickies folder in your home or documents directory as a recipient folder for these.

This is a departure from Mojave and earlier Stickies applications. Additionally, Catalina no longer uses the older format StickiesDatabase, and now collects stickies in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Stickies/Data/Library/Stickies folder as individual serialized .RTFD folders containing TXT.rtf, and a tiff image.

Feb 4, 2020 10:09 AM in response to chris_g1

First, I've never been prompt with steps to complete installation when I opened Stickies for the first time after the Catalina's update. The important notes I've been writing with the app for years simply suddenly disappeared. Second, if those instructions were necessary, the users should be warned before they open the app for the first time, otherwise since it would be always too late and useless. Now, when I tried to recover the old app with time machine, the recovered app crashes before it opens.

stickies keeps on crashing on catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.