Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot play audio in my PDF after upgrading to Catalina. Big dissapointment!!!

Audio (.aif format) will not play in PDF after upgrading to Catalina. Error message: Cannot find appropriate audio player. Very dissappointed! Any ideas?? Thank you !

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 12:39 PM

Hello GregMacMan,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that after updating to macOS Catalina, you can no longer play .aif files. Converting the file format as described in the article below may help:

Convert a song to a different file format with iTunes - Apple Support

Best Regards.

8 replies

Oct 12, 2019 12:49 PM in response to GregMacMan

Yet, if that .aiff file were on your Desktop, it would play without conversion unless Catalina has hosed that capability. The challenge that you have is that Apple does not ship tools with the operating system that would allow you to edit that PDF, and replace the audio with a format that does play — if the operating system would permit it. You would have to invest in a PDF editor.

Oct 21, 2019 8:12 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi, .aif & .wav still play on desk top so it is a Adobe Acotbat Pro/Catalina glitch because it has worked fine since 2014 on all OS upgrades. For now I can tell my customers to get the free version of PDF Expert for Mac. It will play the audio. Not sure if PDF expert has embed tools or just play back capability.

Thank you for taking the time.

Regards, Greg

Oct 21, 2019 10:10 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for your reply. I have ACROBAT PRO subscription. I just tested an MP3 in PDF (using add sound) and the audio plays so I guess it is isolated to .aif and maybe .wav. Interestingly though, you can't add MP3 to audio comment or buttons only .aif. which begs the question "why not allow MP3 if this is the only format that works in playback?". Maybe it will get sorted out as Acrobat is updated 😤 . Fortunately , the expired trial version of PDF EXPERT does enable playback. Reagrds, Greg

Cannot play audio in my PDF after upgrading to Catalina. Big dissapointment!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.