Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime not recording any audio input on Catalina

Hello world! I've just upgraded to Catalina from Mojave and from this very moment as I start New Screen Recording in QuickTime Player and choose ANY audio input (Microphone, Soundflower, Blackhole), the video is saved, but completely without audio. I'm sure the output is set right in the system audio settings, because I successfully record audio with my DAW software. Looks like no one else has such problem, so it looks like I need a clean Catalina re-install? That'll be terrible news.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 2:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 8:49 AM

SOLVED! A link to the article "Record audio in QuickTime Player on Mac" has given me some food for thought. I've started New Audio Recording to see if I can record the audio itself and then below the record button a warning appeared that QuickTime is not authorized to use microphone (it didn't show up during New Screen Recording). After giving microphone permission in system settings I can successfully record audio in Quicktime and what's maybe a bit strange: recording through a virtual audio driver like BlackHole started working as well.

It's strange that lack of microphone permission for QuickTime blocked other audio input sources as well (like BlackHole).

Thank you for guiding me to a solution, all the best!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2020 8:49 AM in response to Grako

SOLVED! A link to the article "Record audio in QuickTime Player on Mac" has given me some food for thought. I've started New Audio Recording to see if I can record the audio itself and then below the record button a warning appeared that QuickTime is not authorized to use microphone (it didn't show up during New Screen Recording). After giving microphone permission in system settings I can successfully record audio in Quicktime and what's maybe a bit strange: recording through a virtual audio driver like BlackHole started working as well.

It's strange that lack of microphone permission for QuickTime blocked other audio input sources as well (like BlackHole).

Thank you for guiding me to a solution, all the best!

Dec 11, 2020 7:38 AM in response to Grako

Hi there Grako,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you are trying to record audio using QuickTime and it is recording video but not audio. What sort of recording are you making? For example, are you making a screen recording, or are you using the Mac camera to make a recording?

These articles might help:

Record audio in QuickTime Player on Mac

Record a movie in QuickTime Player on Mac

Take screenshots or screen recordings on Mac

We hope this helps!

Quicktime not recording any audio input on Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.