Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina Mail "Upgrading Your Mail Database" frozen for hours on iMac

Now on day 2 working through issues associated with "upgrading" to Catalina, and frankly, I wish I hadn't. It's a friggin' mess. Today I've spent hours trying to open Mail to open. It's stuck on "Upgrading your Mail database". I waited 3 hours (still laughing at "this may take a few minutes" comment), and the bar never moved. Restarted my computer, and still experiencing the same problem. Any ideas as to how to fix?

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 1:37 AM

I had the same problem. I waited overnight, tried restarting, etc, etc. It kept getting stuck at same point (about 10% along the progress bar). I ended up calling Apple Support who talked me through a fix (which I'm afraid I didn't understand and so can't share the details - it took about half an hour of creating a new mail folder somewhere in the operating system for me but it all worked out perfectly). Essentially, if it's stuck, there's a problem (I asked if having a large amount of email had any bearing on the speed for the upgrading and it didn't). So I recommend anyone experiencing this issue calls Apple Support.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2019 1:37 AM in response to CatalinaNightmare

I had the same problem. I waited overnight, tried restarting, etc, etc. It kept getting stuck at same point (about 10% along the progress bar). I ended up calling Apple Support who talked me through a fix (which I'm afraid I didn't understand and so can't share the details - it took about half an hour of creating a new mail folder somewhere in the operating system for me but it all worked out perfectly). Essentially, if it's stuck, there's a problem (I asked if having a large amount of email had any bearing on the speed for the upgrading and it didn't). So I recommend anyone experiencing this issue calls Apple Support.

Catalina Mail "Upgrading Your Mail Database" frozen for hours on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.