Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13 Find my iPhone

Find my iPhone is now hopeless. The map is too vague and there’s no option to go hybrid or satellite.

what's going on? The other week my daughter had her phone pickpocketed and because iOS 12 had detail they could see the phone was still in the club for half hour before it started moving and they tracked it down to a specific house. Now, with the new incarnation you’ve got no chance of doing this.

Please bring this functionality back!!!

iPhone XS

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 2:38 PM

28 replies

Oct 9, 2019 3:09 PM in response to sberman

re: I’m not sure why you got redirected to Safari. Nor do I understand why you’re at iCloud.com.

I didn't remember that either but the "If a friend's device is missing" section of Locate a lost or stolen device - Apple Support

does result in being sent to Safari and unlike going to iCloud.com from a desktop there does not appear to be any hybrid view (at least that I can find).

The instructions from that link are:

If a friend's device is missing

You can help a friend find their device if it's missing and has Find My [device] turned on:

1. Open the Find My app.
  2. Choose the Me tab.
  3. Select Help a Friend.
  4. Have your friend sign in to iCloud with the Apple ID they're signed in with on their missing device.

Oct 9, 2019 2:47 PM in response to janie_burmy

First of all, Find My iPhone does not exist under iOS 13. That and Find My Friends has been combined into the new “Find My” app.

Next, if you are referring to the Find My Devices capability in the Find My app, then your statement: “there’s no option to go hybrid or satellite” is incorrect. Simply tap on the encircled “i” above the directional arrow to reveal these options.

Oct 9, 2019 3:21 PM in response to FoxFifth

Ok.. so you see why I think this isn’t as good? So my daughter had her phone stolen in a club. Someone she didn’t know helped her locate it by going into find my iPhone and they could see it was still actually in the club. This would be difficult to see via the new system of them rerouting to iCloud from the app which has no detail . Disappointed in this “development “ as I think it’s a retrograde step

Oct 10, 2019 3:32 PM in response to FoxFifth

Unpinch sounds good. Or perhaps the word is "expand"?

I've searched through some Apple literature in the past few minutes. They refer to "pinch open" and "pinch close". In this sense, I mean "pinch open" is the operation to perform on the map. But when I think of "pinch", I think it means the same as "pinch close".

Oct 10, 2019 3:58 PM in response to sberman

That resulted in me googling "opposite of pinch" and I found (probably sometime before Apple changed their style guide to the open and close that you found)

from ( https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/iphone-the-missing/9780596513740/ch01s10.html )

The English language has failed Apple here. Moving your thumb and forefinger closer together has a perfect verb: pinching. But there's no word to describe moving them the opposite direction.

Apple uses the oxymoronic expression pinch out to describe that move (along with the redundant-sounding pinch in). In this book, the opposite of "pinching" is "spreading."

Oct 11, 2019 12:09 AM in response to janie_burmy

No, seriously, I can’t get close enough to show any buildings. They just aren’t there for me on my phone in my country (uk). I thought that was the issue to start with so double and triple checked but buildings do not appear for me on iCloud on my phone, no matter what I do or how close I zoom . I haven’t checked on a computer /iMac But I wouldn’t have one of those when out if a friend gets her phone stolen/lost

Oct 11, 2019 2:47 PM in response to sberman

Doesn’t work for me in the UK. In fact I think there’s a bug on the whole find my iPhone as my daughters phone doesn’t seem to update location at all even when on 3G. It seems to have a problem updating . It used to be so accurate ; not sure what’s going on now. Maybe there’s something subtle with the settings that they’ve changed. I know they’ve stopped tracking when on public Wi-fi but the 3G seems to have an issue here too

iOS 13 Find my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.