Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is AmpDevices Agent and why does it want to know my passwords ?

What is AmpDevices Agent and why does it want to know my passwords ?

iMac Pro

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2019 3:54 AM

And now that anyone could read the unhelpful explanation from the Apple advisor that users should trust a gold lock image in any dialog that pops up and demands access to confidential information in my keychain, the trolls and hackers worldwide know what to do:

Just copy and paste this gold lock into your ransomware. It will grant you access to all the users' secrets like an 'open Sesame' because most users don't start a search before hitting one of the buttons. Even the thoughtful users give up after they hit "Deny" several times and this box appears again and again.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2019 3:54 AM in response to SteveJolliffe

And now that anyone could read the unhelpful explanation from the Apple advisor that users should trust a gold lock image in any dialog that pops up and demands access to confidential information in my keychain, the trolls and hackers worldwide know what to do:

Just copy and paste this gold lock into your ransomware. It will grant you access to all the users' secrets like an 'open Sesame' because most users don't start a search before hitting one of the buttons. Even the thoughtful users give up after they hit "Deny" several times and this box appears again and again.

Nov 5, 2019 2:09 PM in response to dontbugmeanyway

I would suggest "deny always" should be added to the list. From a strict security point of view, with all due appreciation to all on this thread -- while this seems to be an Apple issue, Apple told somebody, who told it to me, but no one else on this list. Apple never explained it openly, and now that it's known, it's definitely hackable information. That does not strike me as an "allow" response. If Apple requires it, why is it not built into Catalina?

I also looked up "AmpDevices" in various search engines, and nothing shows up.

If it's Apple's request, Apple needs to tell me what it is, and why i should give it the keys to everything that I have?

Thank you all, I will keep monitoring, as I don't know even how to turn this request off.

Oct 17, 2019 3:26 AM in response to DaveEEo

I was getting this too after the update of the update to Catalina. Annoying. I denied and ignored it but it kept coming back after a start up. It's part of Catalina's zealous security. Contacted support, had a long call from and advisor. She admitted Apple have not explained this very well when I told her that people are wary about handing over their Mac passwords to unknown dialogue boxes. She said to note the gold padlock in the dialogue box - this indicates that it's to do with your Mac's security. Although she didn't explain what an "AMP Device" meant, it seems to occur if you have an external hard drive connected - mine is a Time Capsule. 'Always Allow' it once and it goes away.

Oct 17, 2019 10:23 AM in response to SteveJolliffe

Thanks SteveJolliffe, well done. This was driving me bonkers. Good to know what it is (sorta – wish Apple explained it). Like you, I was wary about handing over Mac passwords to unknown dialogue boxes.

As a side note, "updating" to Catalina is easily the most troublesome mess I've dealt with since switching from OS 9 to OS X eons ago. None of my trusted legacy 32-bit design/art apps run anymore. Had Apple bothered to make this fact crystal clear, I would never have hit the download button. I lost two full days of billable time (with my blood pressure through the roof) and missed a client deadline. Grrrr.

what is AmpDevices Agent and why does it want to know my passwords ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.