Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6s latest update 13.1.1 location setting not working correctly?

is anyone else having issues with location changing automatically on its own since the latest update 13.1.1.

my son has a iPhone 6s and since the update we have had issues with his phone alerting up from Life360 that he has left school and has changed his location a mile away from school so when I go into the Apple find my phone app it will show the same that he is a mile down the road from school. It was very alarming the first day this happened it threw me into a panic attack, but he was at school the whole time. Why is this happening and how do I fix it. I have tried shutting the phone down a restarting it. I have check to make sure his location is set correctly and it is. Please help this is stressing me out. School is in yellow on both pic’s

iPhone 6s

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 1:17 PM

Hello Pariddle68,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand that the Life360 app will notify you that your son has left school or is at a different location, when in fact he hasn't changed his location. I can certainly understand the concern. Most of the time this is because the phone is getting a poor signal from the GPS satellites. If you son is inside of a school building, this could be part of the issue.

A couple of things to check are in the following support articles:

If the Maps app isn't working on your Apple device - Apple Support

About privacy and Location Services in iOS 8 and later - Apple Support

Especially this section:

"Improve GPS accuracy

GPS accuracy depends on the number of visible GPS satellites. Locating all visible satellites can take several minutes, with accuracy gradually increasing over time. To improve GPS accuracy:

• Make sure that you've set the date, time, and time zone correctly on the device in Settings > General > Date & Time. If possible, use Set Automatically.
  • Keep a clear view in several directions. Walls, vehicle roofs, tall buildings, mountains, and other obstructions can block line of sight to GPS satellites. When this happens, your device uses Wi-Fi or cellular networks to determine your position until the GPS satellites are visible again.

Crowd-sourced Wi-Fi and cellular Location Services

If Location Services is on, your device will periodically send the geo-tagged locations of nearby Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers to Apple to augment Apple's crowd-sourced database of Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower locations. If you're traveling (for example, in a car) and Location Services is on, a GPS-enabled iOS device will also periodically send GPS locations and travel speed information to Apple to be used for building up Apple's crowd-sourced road-traffic database. The crowd-sourced location data gathered by Apple is anonymous and encrypted. It doesn't personally identify you.

Learn more about Location Services and Privacy."

Additionally, is the Life360 app the only app returning a wrong location? You can set up your son's phone in the FindMy app on both his and your phones and you can compare what it returns to what you are seeing in Life360. See this article: Set up Find My on your iPhone, Mac, and other devices - Apple Support

Additionally, iOS is up to 13.1.2 now, so updating the iPhones could also help.

Best regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2019 1:17 PM in response to Pariddle68

Hello Pariddle68,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand that the Life360 app will notify you that your son has left school or is at a different location, when in fact he hasn't changed his location. I can certainly understand the concern. Most of the time this is because the phone is getting a poor signal from the GPS satellites. If you son is inside of a school building, this could be part of the issue.

A couple of things to check are in the following support articles:

If the Maps app isn't working on your Apple device - Apple Support

About privacy and Location Services in iOS 8 and later - Apple Support

Especially this section:

"Improve GPS accuracy

GPS accuracy depends on the number of visible GPS satellites. Locating all visible satellites can take several minutes, with accuracy gradually increasing over time. To improve GPS accuracy:

• Make sure that you've set the date, time, and time zone correctly on the device in Settings > General > Date & Time. If possible, use Set Automatically.
  • Keep a clear view in several directions. Walls, vehicle roofs, tall buildings, mountains, and other obstructions can block line of sight to GPS satellites. When this happens, your device uses Wi-Fi or cellular networks to determine your position until the GPS satellites are visible again.

Crowd-sourced Wi-Fi and cellular Location Services

If Location Services is on, your device will periodically send the geo-tagged locations of nearby Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers to Apple to augment Apple's crowd-sourced database of Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower locations. If you're traveling (for example, in a car) and Location Services is on, a GPS-enabled iOS device will also periodically send GPS locations and travel speed information to Apple to be used for building up Apple's crowd-sourced road-traffic database. The crowd-sourced location data gathered by Apple is anonymous and encrypted. It doesn't personally identify you.

Learn more about Location Services and Privacy."

Additionally, is the Life360 app the only app returning a wrong location? You can set up your son's phone in the FindMy app on both his and your phones and you can compare what it returns to what you are seeing in Life360. See this article: Set up Find My on your iPhone, Mac, and other devices - Apple Support

Additionally, iOS is up to 13.1.2 now, so updating the iPhones could also help.

Best regards.

Oct 14, 2019 1:35 PM in response to ryane77

Thank you for your help. I had spoken to apple support Friday and they did inform me that they had several issues reported about others having issues with the “Location “ since the last update. This morning 10/14/19 his location seemed to be working good. It alerted he was at school and it stayed that way until school ended. Thank though for your info. All is well so far.

iPhone 6s latest update 13.1.1 location setting not working correctly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.