Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina: Not all messages being filtered in Mail

Since I upgraded to Catalina, mail filters (rules I set up) are working some of the time - and I'm not talking about junk email... I have that turned off and I'm using SpamSieve instead.

Some messages are ending up in the right folder but not all the time. And even though I have multiple accounts, I'm checking, it's doing this erratic behavior with the same account from the same source.

For example, I have a Basecamp account and I get notifications from my team when they are leaving for the day. Those messages come from the same email account, the same source, and have the same subject line but only some of them make it into the correct folder. The ones that don't just stay in my inbox.

Is there some sort of rule rebuild command or something I can run that might help?

And I did find that speech recognition was taking up a lot of CPU yesterday after the install, so I disabled that. I shut down my MacBook Pro this morning, then started it and Mail is still doing this.

Thanks in advance!

-Tony

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 12:58 PM

I wasn't getting a response, so I think I fixed this myself...

What I did was:

1. Quit Mail.
  2. Move the ~/Library/Mail/V7/MailData/Envelope Index* files to the desktop.
  3. Start Mail and let it index.
  4. Quit Mail.
  5. Delete the ~/Library/Mail/V7/MailData/Envelope Index* files it made.
  6. Move the ~/Library/Mail/V7/MailData/Envelope Index* files from the desktop back to the folder.
  7. Start Mail

Fingers crossed, it looks like it's working normally now. Rules are working instead of keeping a copy of some of them in the inbox.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2019 12:58 PM in response to tcstix

I wasn't getting a response, so I think I fixed this myself...

What I did was:

1. Quit Mail.
  2. Move the ~/Library/Mail/V7/MailData/Envelope Index* files to the desktop.
  3. Start Mail and let it index.
  4. Quit Mail.
  5. Delete the ~/Library/Mail/V7/MailData/Envelope Index* files it made.
  6. Move the ~/Library/Mail/V7/MailData/Envelope Index* files from the desktop back to the folder.
  7. Start Mail

Fingers crossed, it looks like it's working normally now. Rules are working instead of keeping a copy of some of them in the inbox.

Catalina: Not all messages being filtered in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.