Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

carplay colors are washed out

After updating to IOS13.1.2 the colors on carplay screen are washed out and dull. They were bright and crisp before the update.

Anyone have this issue or an idea on how to fix?

iPhone XS

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 6:28 AM

I’m having the same issue on Ford F-150. The Ford Sync screen looks normal, but when CarPlay launches it is really washed out, no contrast and colors are muted. It looks awful... best way to describe it is when you are viewing a cheap LCD TV with a dismal viewing angle. Really weird that it was fine until the update.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2019 6:28 AM in response to fire708

I’m having the same issue on Ford F-150. The Ford Sync screen looks normal, but when CarPlay launches it is really washed out, no contrast and colors are muted. It looks awful... best way to describe it is when you are viewing a cheap LCD TV with a dismal viewing angle. Really weird that it was fine until the update.

Oct 15, 2019 9:14 AM in response to fire708

Hello fire708,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I see you have a question about the appearance of CarPlay, and I'd like to help.

The iPhone User Guide has a section on CarPlay, including how to change the appearance: Change settings in CarPlay

If that doesn't make the difference that you're looking for, I'd suggest checking with your car dealership or stereo manufacturer to see if there is a firmware update available.

Cheers!

Oct 15, 2019 8:44 PM in response to rose_10

definitely not anything to do with my vehicle. Colors were fine - update iOS- colors are faded and screen looks washed out. 100% something Apple changed with 13.1.2.

The only setting Apple will trust us to change is light to dark mode. No control over brightness or contrast.

the screen looks like crap now. A lot like my iPad colors do in dark mode now that I screwed up and updated it to 13.1.2

any device running iOS 13.1 or prior looks fine.

ill take your “help” to be a typical Apple “Not our fault, we don’t screw up” response and consider the matter unresolved but closed.

Nov 27, 2019 9:31 AM in response to fire708

Just purchased a 2019 Chevy Colorado and I am having the same issue. Carplay display looks washed out and horrible to the point where I rarely use it. The default infotainment screen looks great so its definitely an issue with the Carplay app.

Very disappointing as I was excited about finally having a vehicle that supports Carplay. Hopefully there is a fix coming....

Dec 19, 2019 5:54 AM in response to fire708

I’ve noticed the CarPlay screen starts off too bright and will dim if I change my dash brightness. Doesn’t matter how bright my dash is when I plug in my phone. Colors are Still horrible! after latest patch. Thinking we’re stuck with crappy looking CarPlay. Really sad as my sons Galaxy 9 looks really nice when plugged in and we try Android auto.

Dec 19, 2019 8:40 AM in response to fire708

I had the same prob with my Chevrolet Colorado 2016. Just purchased 2020 F150 Platinum same thing is happening. They both have 8 inch screens and have the same washed out look. The crappy thing about that too is because of it being washed out, it's very bright at night or early morning and I commute 60 miles each way...so that's a problem. I side with everyone else in this thread that it looks terrible. On my other car that has a 12.3 inch widescreen, this isn't an issue at all!

Jan 8, 2020 10:18 AM in response to fire708

I have the same issue on my 2018 F150. The screen is so washed out and lacking color depth and contrast that it is near blinding while driving at night. The ability to dim the dash lights some helps, but this is a bit ridiculous and borderline dangerous. Please fix this Apple, i have resorted to just using Sync when driving in dark conditions, and in MN at this time of year that is a lot.

carplay colors are washed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.