Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Three Macintosh HD appear on Utility Disk

Hi all , after a clean Catalina installation my Utility Disk is showing 3 HD , is that normal ? Should I leave it like this , or I need to do something to put them together in one ?

Thanks in advance.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 9:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2019 1:12 PM

Hello manzano804! 

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand that you recently upgraded to macOS Catalina and are now seeing 3 hard drives. Not to worry, this is expected with macOS Catalina. macOS Catalina runs in a read-only system volume, which is separate from all the other files on your Mac. This is why you’re seeing both a Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data folder. The Macintosh HD - Data folder helps to keep all your data and files safe and prevent any accidental changes to critical operating system files. Check out this article for more information: About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina.

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2019 1:12 PM in response to manzano804

Hello manzano804! 

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand that you recently upgraded to macOS Catalina and are now seeing 3 hard drives. Not to worry, this is expected with macOS Catalina. macOS Catalina runs in a read-only system volume, which is separate from all the other files on your Mac. This is why you’re seeing both a Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data folder. The Macintosh HD - Data folder helps to keep all your data and files safe and prevent any accidental changes to critical operating system files. Check out this article for more information: About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina.

Cheers!

Three Macintosh HD appear on Utility Disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.