Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since I updated to Catalina my jbl charge 4 is losing its bluetooth connection with my Macbook air

Since I updated to Catalina my jbl charge 4 is losing its bluetooth connection with my Macbook air. Can someone fix this

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 2:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2019 4:40 AM

I'm having the same issue with a Macbook from 2017 which I just updated to Catalina and a JBL Flip 5. The speaker works fine with any other device (including iPhone), and also I'm experiencing no issues with the Magic Mouse 2 on my Macbook.

7 replies

Oct 18, 2019 8:50 AM in response to andré146

I have a JBL Flip 4 bluetooth speaker and having the same problem. Speaker randomly disconnects from my early 2014 MacBook Air and only (temporary) solution is turning bluetooth off, on my MacBook Air, then turning it on again and connect to the speaker.

Troubleshooting steps taken so far:

• Unpairing & pairing the device
  • Unpairing all known devices & pairing the specific device again
  • Deleting the com.apple.bluetooth.pls & rebooting
  • Resetting bluetooth module from Bluetooth menu > Debug
  • Resetting PRAM, nvram, SMC etc.

And none of the above helped to solve this problem.

I didn't have this problem with macOS Mojave, so problem is pretty much Catalina itself.

Oct 23, 2019 1:09 PM in response to bariserdogan

I'm having the same problem with my JBL Charge 4 and early 2015 MacBook Air.

I have tried these steps with only temporary resolution of the issue:

• Rebooting MacBook and Charge 4
  • Unpairing & pairing the device
  • Unpairing all known devices & pairing the specific device again
  • Deleting the com.apple.bluetooth.pls & rebooting
  • Resetting bluetooth module from Bluetooth menu > Debug
  • Factory reset of Charge 4

The audio drops from the speaker back to my MacBook's speakers, but still shows that it is "connected" on the bluetooth menu.

I use a magic mouse 2 and magic keyboard 2 all day and have had zero bluetooth connection issues with them.

Oct 15, 2019 3:19 PM in response to andré146

Hello andré146,

It looks like no one has responded to your question. Here are a couple of things that might help others answer your question:

- Are you using the headphone with any other device? If so, are you having an issue?

- Do you have any other Bluetooth devices connected to your MacBook Air? Are they losing connection?

- Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own? If you have, what were they?

The more information you provide, the better chance the community will be able to offer some additional guidance.

Have a good day!

Since I updated to Catalina my jbl charge 4 is losing its bluetooth connection with my Macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.