Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Extensions

Every time I open Safari on my Mac [latest updates all installed], a window called "Safari Extensions" opens up - needing to be closed before being able to use Safari.

This the same window which opens when you click on Safari, then Safari Extensions. So it appears to be legitimate, just a nuisance when it opens uninvited.

I am using Sophos protection and a scan shows no malware.

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 5:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2019 4:58 PM

Hello Bomber44,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to open Safari without the Extensions window also opening and needing to be closed first before using Safari. To help with this, please quit Safari, and then hold the Shift key while opening Safari again.

Automatically re-open windows, apps, and documents on your Mac

Next, use safe mode to start up your Mac as it does the following things:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Log in to your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode

Cheers!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2019 4:58 PM in response to Bomber44

Hello Bomber44,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to open Safari without the Extensions window also opening and needing to be closed first before using Safari. To help with this, please quit Safari, and then hold the Shift key while opening Safari again.

Automatically re-open windows, apps, and documents on your Mac

Next, use safe mode to start up your Mac as it does the following things:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Log in to your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode

Cheers!

Safari Extensions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.