Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari extensions being added without permission

I keep seeing a safari extension being added without me being asked. I know I can delete this but I would like to prevent it happening.

Safari seems to close when this first happens and sometimes takes several times to reopen it which sort of alerts me to the problem. The extension mentions being able to read credit card and passwords etc so is a worry.

I'm using the latest Monterey OS.

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 7:35 AM

6 replies

Dec 1, 2021 8:28 AM in response to headinthesand

I would first check Safari > Preferences > Websites and look at the Downloads sub-section to see if there are any websites showing up there which are set to "Allow" that shouldn't be. Likewise for the Autoplay and Extensions sub-sections under Websites.

When getting rid of your unwanted extensions, I presume you are going to Safari > Preferences > Extensions and doing an uninstall from there? If so, they just come back on their own? Notice any trigger for the reinstall? Visiting a particular website, for instance?

Safari extensions being added without permission

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.