Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find/add the Airport Express in the Home app.

My home app does not show my airport express. I would like to add it as a airplay speaker. All devices are updated to latest OS’s.

AE shows in the network and I have it set up as a airplay2 speaker.

in home app, I go to add, don’t have a code, and nothing shows up

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 7:46 AM

A 2nd gen 802.11n with v7.8.1 firmware would be considered an AirPlay 2-enabled speaker. As such, you should be able to add it to the Home app as an accessory, as follows:

1. On your iPhone, tap on the Home app > tap on Add Accessory > tap on Don't have a Code or Can't Scan
  2. When the AirPort Express appears, tap on it to select it.
  3. Wait for the Express to be added.
  4. Provide the Express a name and choose which room you want it associated with.

If the Express does not appear, then check the following:

• Use a base station name that is 16-alphanumeric characters or less that does not include any special characters or spaces.
  • If the Express is NOT your main wireless router, configure it with a static local IP address.
  • Configure the Express to use "IPv6 Link-local only." AirPort Utility > Select the Express > Edit > Advanced > IPv6 > Configure IPv6 = Link-local only

Ref:

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2019 7:46 AM in response to mattfromsherwood

A 2nd gen 802.11n with v7.8.1 firmware would be considered an AirPlay 2-enabled speaker. As such, you should be able to add it to the Home app as an accessory, as follows:

1. On your iPhone, tap on the Home app > tap on Add Accessory > tap on Don't have a Code or Can't Scan
  2. When the AirPort Express appears, tap on it to select it.
  3. Wait for the Express to be added.
  4. Provide the Express a name and choose which room you want it associated with.

If the Express does not appear, then check the following:

• Use a base station name that is 16-alphanumeric characters or less that does not include any special characters or spaces.
  • If the Express is NOT your main wireless router, configure it with a static local IP address.
  • Configure the Express to use "IPv6 Link-local only." AirPort Utility > Select the Express > Edit > Advanced > IPv6 > Configure IPv6 = Link-local only

Ref:

Find/add the Airport Express in the Home app.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.