Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina / Music app memory leak ?

Hi

Updated my Late 2012 27-inch iMac (quad core i7, 16Gb ram) to Catalina yesterday.

Like other users have reported on here, Music has cleared all album artwork and has been 'Loading artwork...' for a couple of hours.

However, my Mac's performance has ground to a halt as a result with memory pressure at red.

The culprit is Music -- but demanding nearly 90Gb of Memory doesn't feel right:

It is slowly increasing as I type (now at 92.51GB) which suggests a memory leak ?

Anyone else seen this ?

thanks

Tim

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 7:10 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 23, 2019 1:37 AM in response to timp1971

OK, I might have found a solution to this problem. At least it doesn't occur on my Mac since.

I suppose everyone with this problem has his or her iTunes Library on an external volume. Mine is on a JetDrive SD card in my MBP late 2013.

I noticed that the new 'Music' app likes to use a library that has the word 'music' in its name.

So what I did was:

• open the preferences in the new Music app
  • choose the tab called 'Files'
  • press the 'Change...' button
  • point the app to the location of the desired library (on my external volume).

And that's all there was to it.

Hope this works for you too.

Oct 23, 2019 9:34 AM in response to NookaDizzy

I have a similar problem. A few things about my setup:

1. Really large library with 42k songs
  2. Music is stored on external drive but library is on local drive
  3. I listen to music through a USB DAC.

About twice a week my music will suddenly start making a screeching sound and then I'm unable to force quit Music and have to force restart my laptop.

Catalina / Music app memory leak ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.