Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want the Office 365 removed from my mac and my old Office software returned

How do I remove the Office 365 trial software from my mac and have my old Office software reactivated?

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 10:22 AM

It is likely you cannot reactivate your old version. Microsoft have declared Office 2011 and early "obsolete" and unsupported. When I tried to install Office 2008 from the original disk with a valid registration key a year ago on a new computer, I could not because MS had disabled the activation server required to set it up. I suspect you will find the same issue with 2011.

However, as MS Office is not an Apple product and there are not as many Office users active here as one would think, I believe you will be better served by asking in Microsoft's Office forums. MS Office questions posted in these forums tend to linger a long time before getting any kind of helpful response.

MS made their forums less user-friendly than before by making it harder to limit answers to Mac subjects, but it can be done when you know the trick, Start here: 

Results in Office - Microsoft Community.

That will display this page header:

1) Use the “Office Topic” pull-down to select your Office app.

2) Limit answers to Mac topics with the “Office Sub-topic” pull-down.

3) If needed, use the “Show Filters” option to further narrow the results.

Everyone there is both and Office user and a Mac user, something you can't say about Apple's forums. I believe you will find the contributors there knowledgeable and very helpful.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2019 10:22 AM in response to Suntan44

It is likely you cannot reactivate your old version. Microsoft have declared Office 2011 and early "obsolete" and unsupported. When I tried to install Office 2008 from the original disk with a valid registration key a year ago on a new computer, I could not because MS had disabled the activation server required to set it up. I suspect you will find the same issue with 2011.

However, as MS Office is not an Apple product and there are not as many Office users active here as one would think, I believe you will be better served by asking in Microsoft's Office forums. MS Office questions posted in these forums tend to linger a long time before getting any kind of helpful response.

MS made their forums less user-friendly than before by making it harder to limit answers to Mac subjects, but it can be done when you know the trick, Start here: 

Results in Office - Microsoft Community.

That will display this page header:

1) Use the “Office Topic” pull-down to select your Office app.

2) Limit answers to Mac topics with the “Office Sub-topic” pull-down.

3) If needed, use the “Show Filters” option to further narrow the results.

Everyone there is both and Office user and a Mac user, something you can't say about Apple's forums. I believe you will find the contributors there knowledgeable and very helpful.

I want the Office 365 removed from my mac and my old Office software returned

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.