Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating my OS on my Mac Pro

I'm trying to update my OS. I currently have Yosemite 10.10.5 on a Mac Pro early 2009. I checked for updates, and there aren't any available. How can I get the OS updated?

Mac Pro

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 10:31 AM

Try this instead:

How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

3 replies

Oct 11, 2019 10:09 AM in response to JohnOrtizPhoto

You'd either have to run Software Update (which might not find much) under "About this Mac" under the large Apple icon on the

left hand side of your screen, or go to the App store and look for El Capitan. Upgrading to Sierra or later requires a Metal-capable

video/graphics card, and yes, Sierra will check if there's one in there before trying to install, plus it does a firmware update.

Otherwise, no go

john b

Oct 11, 2019 10:46 AM in response to Johnb-one

johnb-one.

Check your facts. Consider getting a copy of the MacTacker database to save guessing. That MacPro will support up to os10.11.6 "El Capitan."

1) You'd either have to run Software Update (which might not find much) under "About this Mac" under the large Apple icon on the left hand side of your screen, or go to the App store and look for El Capitan. Upgrading to Sierra or later requires a Metal-capable video/graphics card, and yes, Sierra will check if there's one in there before trying to install, plus it does a firmware update.

Fact: Software Updates offers incremental updates (ex 10.13.2 to 10.13.3), not full system upgrades (ex OS 10.10 to OS10.11). Full updates are offered from the front page of the Mac App store if the version is current, and from Apple Support documents is it is not current. Search support for "download <insert System name here>" That how I found the link I posted for the OP.

Fact: We have two older Macs without Metal-capable gfx hardware that are running High Sierra just fine. Mojave requires Metal-capable gfx hardware.capable, not Sierra.

Updating my OS on my Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.