Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have xYosemite how can I update it to anything else?

I don't know why but it seems my Mac has never updated the os even though it's on auto update. I would like to get it updated and current, how do I go about that? It seems that there is no way to get from x yosemite to Mojave.

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 10:42 AM

Apple differentiates “updates” which are patches and minor changes and expected to be compatible for apps, and “upgrades” which are more substantial changes and may or will require further updates for some of the apps you’re using.

Most any Mac running Yosemite can be upgraded to El Capitan.

If you’re not getting that offered, you may be short on available free storage, or some other detail. See the link for specific requirements, but most any Mac running Yosemite can be upgraded. There are usually some details on the failure included. It’s also possible that an add-on package such as add-on security or an “cleaner” is somehow blocking the upgrade. That add-on security stuff can sometimes be flaky, insecure, or entirely problematic.

Depending on the specific model and year, this Mac might be (directly) upgradable to High Sierra, or Mojave, or maybe Catalina. Those links each include supported Macs, and other requirements, and a download link.

To upgrade, get an external and complete backup, get another backup, check your key apps, check for 32-but apps you’ll need to upgrade or replace (only) if you’re going to upgrade to Catalina, check that your printer and scanner vendors have drivers available for your upgrade, and download and install the upgrade.

Catalina supports only 64-bit apps and interfaces. Earlier macOS releases support both older 32-bit and interfaces, and newer 64-bit apps.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2019 10:42 AM in response to jenifer193

Apple differentiates “updates” which are patches and minor changes and expected to be compatible for apps, and “upgrades” which are more substantial changes and may or will require further updates for some of the apps you’re using.

If you’re not getting that offered, you may be short on available free storage, or some other detail. See the link for specific requirements, but most any Mac running Yosemite can be upgraded. There are usually some details on the failure included. It’s also possible that an add-on package such as add-on security or an “cleaner” is somehow blocking the upgrade. That add-on security stuff can sometimes be flaky, insecure, or entirely problematic.

Depending on the specific model and year, this Mac might be (directly) upgradable to High Sierra, or Mojave, or maybe Catalina. Those links each include supported Macs, and other requirements, and a download link.

To upgrade, get an external and complete backup, get another backup, check your key apps, check for 32-but apps you’ll need to upgrade or replace (only) if you’re going to upgrade to Catalina, check that your printer and scanner vendors have drivers available for your upgrade, and download and install the upgrade.

Catalina supports only 64-bit apps and interfaces. Earlier macOS releases support both older 32-bit and interfaces, and newer 64-bit apps.

Oct 11, 2019 10:42 AM in response to MrHoffman

The Mac App Store won't allow this if the computer is capable of running a newer one, unless El Capitan has been previously downloaded from the same Apple ID. This is why I included 'depending on which Mac model you have' above; only one of the links will work on a given configuration, but there isn't enough information in this thread to tell which.

(175200)

I have xYosemite how can I update it to anything else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.