Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blue microphone symbol permanently on in top bar

Hi, my daughters iPhone 7 Plus has the blue microphone symbol on all the time in the top bar. I saw a previous post saying to turn off microphone usage for apps which I’ve done, I’ve turned the phone off and on again too but it’s still there. Anyone know how to ensure the microphone is off? Thank you in advance :)

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2020 5:39 PM

Swipe to the left of your main app screen and type ‘voice control’ into the search bar. Select the option for ‘voice control’ that has the ‘settings’ icon associated with it. It will let you switch it off. This is easier than looking for it in the settings. ‘Voice over’ is something else but switching off ‘voice control’ will get rid of the blue microphone.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2020 5:39 PM in response to debi256

Swipe to the left of your main app screen and type ‘voice control’ into the search bar. Select the option for ‘voice control’ that has the ‘settings’ icon associated with it. It will let you switch it off. This is easier than looking for it in the settings. ‘Voice over’ is something else but switching off ‘voice control’ will get rid of the blue microphone.

Mar 13, 2020 3:04 AM in response to debi256

Thanks for sharing the answer and the screenshot debi256. Some have advised that this is "VoiceOver" and that is incorrect. Regardless of what iPhone you have, your answer resolves the matter of the constant "blue microphone" up near the battery strength. Also, if a parent sees this symbol on a child's iPhone, it can be disabled and Pass Code protected to ensure that it will not be used by them to circumvent parental controls. (You can also disable everything on their iPhone and have those parental controls under Pass Code protected, but that is for a different thread.) Thanks again!

Blue microphone symbol permanently on in top bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.