Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Panic Issues

I'm looking for some support with my mid-2010 Macbook Pro and supposed kernel panic issues.

Firstly, some info on my machine:

15 inch Mid 2010 Macbook Pro

2.66ghz Intel Core i7

8GB DDR3 Ram

Nvideo Geforce GT330M 512MB

Intel HD Graphics 288MB

MacOS Sierra Version 10.12.6

So, for a long time now I've had issues with reoccurring crashing issues. After long periods of trawling through guides, forums and tips on things to try, I have settled on it being Kernel panic, and am about 5 minutes away from either a total fresh wipe of the machine or purchasing a new hard drive (SSD most likely)

I just want to ensure theres nothing I'm missing before these steps, and so look to here for help.

Below are two images of the crash/panic reports of the latest episode

From what I can see this episode of Kernel panic revolves around the GPU.

The question is, is it my graphics, my hard drive, or something else that is fubar.

Any help in as simple jargon-free english as possible would be greatly helpful (Sadly not a techie guy)

Thanks in advance you wonderful people.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 5:45 PM

That generation Mac had issues with the discrete GPU chip failing. I had a Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro with a failing GPU chip.

You can try gfsCardStatus to force the Mac to ONLY use the integrated intel GPU (which is what I'm doing on my old Mac).

gfxCardStatus is a free menu bar application that keeps track of which graphics card your MacBook Pro is using at any given time.

https://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus/releases/download/v2.4.4i/gfxCardStatus.app.zip

You can force a Macbook Pro to use the Integrated intel graphic via gfxCardStatus

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2019 5:45 PM in response to Greggy999

That generation Mac had issues with the discrete GPU chip failing. I had a Late 2011 15" Macbook Pro with a failing GPU chip.

You can try gfsCardStatus to force the Mac to ONLY use the integrated intel GPU (which is what I'm doing on my old Mac).

gfxCardStatus is a free menu bar application that keeps track of which graphics card your MacBook Pro is using at any given time.

https://github.com/steveschow/gfxCardStatus/releases/download/v2.4.4i/gfxCardStatus.app.zip

You can force a Macbook Pro to use the Integrated intel graphic via gfxCardStatus

Kernel Panic Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.