Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 5.1 Early 2009 Kernel Panic after login Mac OS Mojave

Hello Everyone,

I recently bought a used Mac Pro flashed from 4.1 to 5.1.

I bought it with the original 512 MB Graphics Card and replaced it with the Mojave compatible Sapphire Radeon RX580 Pulse 8GB.

Panics happened already in High Sierra with the Original Graphics Card.

Clean install panics as well.

Installed Mojave on NVMe -> panics during installation, and right after login. (bootrom is 144.0.0.0.0)

Booted mojave from Hard Drive -> panics from 1 to 5 min after login .

the only panic report I could copy is the one down below, which is the one that happened when booting from HD.

NVRAM, SMC reset didn't result in anything different.

Firmware upgrade as well.

Safe Mode panics happened as well both booting from HD and NVMe.

I don't know what to do and I'm looking for help before I spend anymore money on this device.

Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

Mac Pro

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 9:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 6:48 PM

Sorry for the late answer. It was my first post and I didn't realise I wasn't following the thread.

Anyway The problem was with one DIMM. I took it off it and it's running properly now.

The panics were happening with both mechanical HDD (High Sierra) and

NVme (Mojave). On High Sierra it usually ran for around 10 min longer

though.

I coudn't boot to AHT in any way. I didn't try it after I took off the DIMM though.

Thank you all for helping me out!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2020 6:48 PM in response to ghavi

Sorry for the late answer. It was my first post and I didn't realise I wasn't following the thread.

Anyway The problem was with one DIMM. I took it off it and it's running properly now.

The panics were happening with both mechanical HDD (High Sierra) and

NVme (Mojave). On High Sierra it usually ran for around 10 min longer

though.

I coudn't boot to AHT in any way. I didn't try it after I took off the DIMM though.

Thank you all for helping me out!

Dec 25, 2019 8:21 PM in response to ghavi

Power Management routine is the messenger, not the problem. All such stuff gets discovered in CPU power management, because that is where the checks for these issues are located.

Machine check is a Hardware-related problem in most cases. This is a multi-processor cooperation problem, with processors not responding to Interrupts. but these were supposed to have been solved if your software is completely up-to-date.

The broken plastic pins are on the Northbridge chip, which first gives you wonky problems, then constant panics for addresses out of bounds and page faults, and illegal addresses. When those pins are busted, the Northbridge chip gets crazy hot, like100 C, which can be seen with a temp monitoring program.

Mac Pro 5.1 Early 2009 Kernel Panic after login Mac OS Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.