Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Panic: nvme: AppleS3XController. PCI link down.

Hi All,

Ever since I updated to macOS 12 Monterey about 3 months ago, I've been experiencing kernel panics. I've tried updating to macOS 13 Ventura, but the problem has unfortunately not subsided. After a bit of googling, I've come to realise that a 'nvme' problem could either be due to a failing SSD, or just due to faulty software. Since these problems started immediately after upgrading my macOS, I have a feeling that it's the latter, but unfortunately haven't been able to identify the culprit. I've uninstalled various apps that were outdated, reinstalled macOS (without erasing the hard drive), and have reset my NVRAM multiple times. Is there anything else that I can try out before taking in my Mac to Apple? Not sure if this is relevant, but I also had my battery replaced (by Apple) about a month before I upgraded to Monterey (i.e. a month before these problems began). Attached are the (i) kernel panic and (ii) Etre reports.

Thanks in advance for your help!

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Jan 4, 2023 1:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 7:59 PM

It is important to test the clean install of macOS before installing any third party apps and before restoring/migrating from a backup, otherwise you may bring the problem back. I don't really see any software that is known for causing kernel panics.

An even better test would be to install macOS to an external USB 3 SSD so you can run macOS from the external SSD to see whether the internal SSD disappears at some point. If the internal SSD disappears from the Finder, then check the Apple System Profiler to see if the physical internal SSD appears on the right pane when you click "NVMExpress" on the left pane. If there is no information in the right pane for the physical internal SSD, then it means the SSD is most likely bad (small chance of a Logic Board issue). However, the SSD is the weakest link and the SSD for this specific model laptop has a high rate of failure. This is the only way to really confirm an SSD failure is most likely.

I suspect the SSD is failing since it mentions the SSD controller PCI link is down. The SSDs on this model do have a higher rate of failure. Assuming no liquid damage to the Logic Board, then the SSD is the most likely part to go bad since the SSD is the weakest link.

Lucky for you there is a third party SSD available for this laptop from OWC.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-pro-13-inch-non-touch-bar/2016-2017

If you don't have a backup, then make a backup right away since the SSD could fail completely at any time. If the SSD fails, then it is highly unlikely that even an expensive data recovery service will be able to recover any data.

People should always have frequent and regular backups of their computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data. It is impossible to recover accidentally deleted data from an SSD after the Trash has been emptied, plus an SSD can fail at any time without any warning signs. With later model Macs there are even more ways to lose access to data.

Edit: I should add, most SSD failures will be detected when powering on the laptop or when waking the laptop from sleep. Putting the laptop to sleep for a short while and waking it back up is a good way to try to reproduce an SSD failure, but it may not happen every time.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2023 7:59 PM in response to oorc06

It is important to test the clean install of macOS before installing any third party apps and before restoring/migrating from a backup, otherwise you may bring the problem back. I don't really see any software that is known for causing kernel panics.

An even better test would be to install macOS to an external USB 3 SSD so you can run macOS from the external SSD to see whether the internal SSD disappears at some point. If the internal SSD disappears from the Finder, then check the Apple System Profiler to see if the physical internal SSD appears on the right pane when you click "NVMExpress" on the left pane. If there is no information in the right pane for the physical internal SSD, then it means the SSD is most likely bad (small chance of a Logic Board issue). However, the SSD is the weakest link and the SSD for this specific model laptop has a high rate of failure. This is the only way to really confirm an SSD failure is most likely.

I suspect the SSD is failing since it mentions the SSD controller PCI link is down. The SSDs on this model do have a higher rate of failure. Assuming no liquid damage to the Logic Board, then the SSD is the most likely part to go bad since the SSD is the weakest link.

Lucky for you there is a third party SSD available for this laptop from OWC.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-pro-13-inch-non-touch-bar/2016-2017

If you don't have a backup, then make a backup right away since the SSD could fail completely at any time. If the SSD fails, then it is highly unlikely that even an expensive data recovery service will be able to recover any data.

People should always have frequent and regular backups of their computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data. It is impossible to recover accidentally deleted data from an SSD after the Trash has been emptied, plus an SSD can fail at any time without any warning signs. With later model Macs there are even more ways to lose access to data.

Edit: I should add, most SSD failures will be detected when powering on the laptop or when waking the laptop from sleep. Putting the laptop to sleep for a short while and waking it back up is a good way to try to reproduce an SSD failure, but it may not happen every time.

Jan 4, 2023 2:49 AM in response to oorc06

Hi,

Try to check your MacBook Pro hardware with Apple Diagnostics if it reports something related SSD or SSD interface.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

If it doesn't help or reported error, you'd better take your MacBook Pro to your local retail AppleStore, Genius Bar or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined your MacBook Pro there.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Find Locations - Apple

Jan 4, 2023 2:58 AM in response to kaz-k

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply!

Apple Diagnostics did not identify any problems.

Is there something else that I can/should try out before visiting the Genius Bar? Unfortunately, I'm scheduled to travel quite a bit in the near future, and can probably visit Apple only about 3-4 weeks from now.

Kernel Panic: nvme: AppleS3XController. PCI link down.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.