Kernel panics back with most recent macOS update

Hi all,

Ever since the most recent macOS update, I am waking up every single morning with a "computer restarted because of a problem". I have sent about 20+ reports to Apple.

I have called Apple Support, done a diagnostics (normal), clean install (didn't help), Genius Bar visit with normal diagnostics and as of yesterday a complete wipe of my system and reinstall.

It did the same thing last night. I am at my wits end! Can anyone help?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jun 4, 2023 4:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 6:43 AM

The panic log is showing the GPU is trying to set a power state and is unable to do so. Either it is trying to go into a low power mode, or exit from a low power mode (I'm assuming the latter). Hardware issues can be intermittent as well and can be the hardest things to figure out. It does not help that Apple techs don't even try to analyze a Kernel Panic report, as they only rely on their service diagnostics and whether a clean install works or fails.

I guess you could try to "Restore" the firmware (or "Revive" it), but I doubt this will have any effect either, but it is probably the only other option before having the iMac repaired except to make sure all external devices are disconnected in case one of them is causing a problem.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2023 6:43 AM in response to tdawg1987

The panic log is showing the GPU is trying to set a power state and is unable to do so. Either it is trying to go into a low power mode, or exit from a low power mode (I'm assuming the latter). Hardware issues can be intermittent as well and can be the hardest things to figure out. It does not help that Apple techs don't even try to analyze a Kernel Panic report, as they only rely on their service diagnostics and whether a clean install works or fails.

I guess you could try to "Restore" the firmware (or "Revive" it), but I doubt this will have any effect either, but it is probably the only other option before having the iMac repaired except to make sure all external devices are disconnected in case one of them is causing a problem.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Jun 5, 2023 11:59 AM in response to tdawg1987

AMDFramebufferVega10::setPowerState(0xffffff9031bf4800 : 0xffffff7fa088a8ee, 0 -> 1) timed out after 45489 ms

Looks like a GPU issue if you tested a clean install before installing third party apps or restoring from a backup. For this model iMac means a Logic Board issue since the GPU is integrated onto the Logic Board IIRC.

Jun 5, 2023 12:14 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks for the info. It happened again last night after 2 nights without any panics (post clean install, but with some programs added back).

I was told by an Apple Advisor to try creating a new user account and leave that one logged in overnight to see what happens so I am trying that.

Really wouldn’t be happy if this was a logic board issues, especially only 3 years after I bought it (with very light use) plus all the upgrades I paid for (RAM, video card, etc).

Still also stumped on why it only happens at night every couple of nights versus during the day, or when I’m using it.

Jun 6, 2023 6:49 AM in response to HWTech

I really appreciate that you’re the first person who can translate what the heck that log means (nobody from Apple including store tech could!). I will read that article later today.

FYI - I looked up the panic logs and they ALWAYS happen between 4-6am. I’ve disabled putting disks to sleep already as well so I am stumped as to what the heck my computer is doing between 4-6am when it’s idle.

Even tried a fresh user account without any programs installed and it still did it.

Never happened regularly before the most recent macOS update.

Again, super disappointed that this is a 3 year old computer that I paid for graphics card and RAM upgrades, only for this to happen. Sigh.

Jun 16, 2023 8:17 PM in response to HWTech

Hi HWTech,

My workaround was to completely turn off the ability for the computer to sleep - which stopped the panic. I knew something was wrong though and I had the issue escalated to engineers. It is indeed a hardware failure (GPU). Only 3 years old and I paid a lot extra for a better graphics card on this model. Fortunately Apple is going to cover a logic board replacement for me.

You seem very knowledgeable and I wanted to know your opinion on why this may have failed only 2.5-3 years into having it? Could I have stressed it out? I play one particular game that is graphics heavy, but figured with my upgraded RAM and graphics card, it would have been fine to run. The game always runs without issue. Otherwise this is my LEAST used Mac product... and I have never had an issue 3 years into any of my Mac computers.

Hoping the replacement will fix the issue permanently.

Jun 16, 2023 8:40 PM in response to tdawg1987

I support thousands of Macs for our organization. I have been finding that the 2018+ Macs seem to have a much higher rate of Logic Board failures and it is starting to concern me. We've had to replace at least three iMac 2019 Logic Board several months ago...the failures occurred close together.

I think it has a lot to do with the T2 security chip since they make things so much more difficult (even the 2016 & 2017 Macs with T1 chips have more issues than older models). Part of it is due to the Logic Board now containing so much more integrated onto them like SSD, memory, GPU, WiFi, etc. Unfortunately when many of these 2018+ Macs fail there is no way to even know which component on the Logic Board is bad because anything you want to do requires authenticating with the T2 security chip. The T2 security chip causes me no end of headaches while supporting our organization's Macs. These 2018+ Macs are just glorified iPads without a touchscreen.

There is nothing you could have done to prevent the issue. Just use the iMac as you wish.

I'm glad Apple is going to replace the MLB for free for you.

Thanks for the follow up to confirm as it helps us and it will help others who find your thread.

Jun 30, 2023 7:03 PM in response to HWTech

Engineering is recommending ANOTHER logic board replacement. Senior advisor cannot get a replacement approved until that at least happens. Store isn’t happy because they don’t think it’s going to fix anything, but here we go for round 2.

I really want to avoid forking out another $2200 less than 3 years later for another iMac…

Sigh.

Kernel panics back with most recent macOS update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.